Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wyatt's Wonder Pumpkin

Posted by runswithscissors MT 4/5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 10:04

Has anyone ever tried these pumpkins? I've grown them for 2 years and LOVE them. They are huge, but still movable, and stay roundish and orange for fall decorating. I did find that the deer absolutely LOVE them too and will eat them over apples.

Last year I saved seed. The seeds looked perfect. Nice and fat and bulbous with that "hard-candy-coating" look on the sides. But alas, they would not germinate. So, either they were too imature...I don't think that's it. Or, I didn't save them correctly....hmmm, I've saved pumpkin seeds before that grew fine and these "looked" better than the packaged seeds. Or, wyatt's wonder is some sort of a hybrid that is difficult to germinate? I cannot find any info on whether it is a hybrid or not. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wyatt's Wonder Pumpkin

If you can squeeze the seed and it doesn't collapse or break the seeds are likely mature enough. The only thing really crucial that you might be lacking is warm soil. I see you are in zone 4/5, while ordinarily I am a proponent for direct seeding you might want to try starting a transplant inside. They make heating mats but usually the top of a refrigerator is pretty warm.

I don't believe that variety is a hybrid and even if it was your seeds should still germinate just fine. Typically if you can't find info on it being a hybrid then it is not.

The soil temperature need to be 70 F or greater for the seeds to have good germination. And that is soil not air, it could be 80 F in the air and still have soil temps too cold.

o
RE: Wyatt's Wonder Pumpkin

Thanks weirdtrev. I always start my pumpkins, gourds, melons, cukes inside using the papertowel method on a heat mat. I've always had great success. I tried 2 storebought Wyatt's, and 10 of mine. The store seeds germinated, none of mine did. They sat in the towel and rotted. I wonder if I should have "fermented" the seeds before drying, like tomatoe seeds?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here