Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccabal

huge ball zuxxhini

Christian
9 years ago

We left for a week on vacation, and when we got back found a huge ball zucchini growing. Here is a picture of it (picture is a couple days old now, its actually gotten bigger).
I would say its about 11 inches in diameter, and looks beautiful.
I am thinking I will let it fully ripen. It looks just like a green pumpkin, and I read somewhere that some of these ripen orange, to look like pumpkins.
Has anyone done this before? I know it and regular pumpkins are the same species, C. Pepo. But I am wondering if this will result in a "usable" (meaning, edible) pumpkin, or will it just be good for ornamental purposes. I know I am sacrificing production from this plant by doing this, but I thought it was worth it, for fun. I have some more plants growing now that are about to start producing.

This post was edited by ccabal on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 10:33

Comments (6)

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Worth a try' Some varieties form edible flesh like a acorn, others just dry up. If the skin is still tender, they are good split stuffed and baked at this size.

• Christian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of it today. Its starting to turn more yellowish, and I also noticed the skin has turned harder.

• Christian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was looking at my "pumpkin" this morning and noticed that it had some SVB damage on the stem (frass), and when I went to move it a little, noticed that it was barely attached to the plant. So I went ahead and broke it off. It's mostly yellow now (I am guessing it's probably going to be yellow rather than orange when ripe).
    Here is a pic of it.

• Christian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately when I inspected it I found two areas where SVB had bored into it :(
    The red arrows in the picture show it. One is actually on the stem. I dug a wire intro the damaged part of the stem, and dug out a borer. The other spot I also dug out another borer. They were fairly small, and ended up becoming chicken food. I cleaned out both areas and put some alcohol there to hopefully help disinfect it. I then poured soon some molten wax into both holes in the hope of sealing off the wounds. (picture is of the result). Now I have no idea if what I did will help or not. I intend to let it sit on the sun for a week to cure it more. I really wanted to use this as a decoration this fall, but now I really doubt it will last till then. Otherwise I can just crack it open, bake it, and try using it like a regular pumpkin. What do you guys think I should do?

• Sid23
    9 years ago

Curious as to how this turned out. When I had a pumpkin that had an SVB hole in it the not so little bugger was happily eating away inside for weeks. It had started rotting so I cut it open to find the borer quite fat and happy inside....not for too long though.

• Christian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still sitting on our counter, as a decoration... no signs of rotting. I pick it up a couple times a week, and it still feels firm. (Been over a month now). I think cleaning out the hole, and sealing it helped.
    I did also have a Jack-o-lantern that had a SVB hole. That hole was bigger, and instead of letting the pumpkin to go waste, I opened it up, cleaned it out, and will use it for pumpkin bread, or pumpkin pancakes.

Oh, and BTW, I realized that technically, what I have is "round zucchini" , an heirloom variety, instead of "ball zucchini" which is typically a different kind.

This post was edited by ccabal on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 18:09

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!