Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iam3killerbs

YAHOO! Old Seed Ressurected!

iam3killerbs
14 years ago

9-10 years ago when I lived in North Carolina's "High Country" -- Watauga and Jefferson Counties -- I was given an unusual squash. It was large, round, pink, and slightly flattened, though not so flat as the then newly popular "Cinderella" pumpkins. I was told that it was a "pie pumpkin" and told to save the seed.

It was one of the most delicious squash I've ever tasted.

It was a couple years before I could try to plant any of it and I was never able to get it to grow. I had believed that at some point during multiple moves that seed had encountered conditions that had killed it.

This year I made a last effort. I threw handfuls of the seed into the best place I had -- the spot where I'd removed an old compost heap. To my great delight as many as 1 in 3 of those seeds have sprouted.

I'll be very interested to see what the pumpkins are like. Especially to compare them to the Long Island Cheese that I'm growing since that's the best match I've ever found for that pumpkin's description.

Comments (20)

• weirdtrev
    14 years ago

Saying it is similar to long island cheese and that it was referred to as a pie pumpkin, makes me thing you had an amish pie pumpkin. But I don't know if I would consider it round or pink (I think it is shaped like a strawberry and tan colored). Anyway it is supposed to be a delicious pumpkins for pie. Here is a picture:

{{gwi:853020}}

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, it was nothing like that shape.

It was wide and flattened. It looked very much like the pictures of the Long Island Cheese except that it was larger than the description for that variety. Probably about 15lbs. I remember getting multiple meals from it.

• Macmex
    14 years ago

Are you planning to hand pollinate, or are you isolated enough from others that you will be able to save seed?

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a number of different winter squash planted with multiples of each species since I'm in a new zone and need to see what will grow well. My plan is to hand-pollinate some of these.

They may be Long Island Cheese or they may be some little-known, Appalachian strain. I'll find out when I can sit the two varieties side by side.

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The plants are old enough now to start to compare them. The Long Island Cheese does not have silver mottling on its leaves. The plants from the resurrected seed, which I'm tentatively calling "Watauga Pie Pumpkin", do have the silver mottling. Its too soon to see if they have it to the same extent that the Argonaut squash do.

I'll give them a few more days to put on some new leaves then I'll post some pictures.

• dirtdauberz5mo
    14 years ago

Keep us posted, I'm interested. The Tatume squash I planted had the silver mottling on the first leaves, but subsequent larger ones have been solid green....

• julietnj
    14 years ago

Hi! I think I might have found your squash/pumpkin? Does this look like it? It's called Boston Marrow.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o27/faith335/Pumpkin.jpg

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No. My squash is definitely not a Boston Marrow. That photo doesn't match the other photos of Boston Marrow I've seen and the original squash didn't match either your photos or the other type. http://www.cherrygal.com/images/SquashBostonMarrow.jpg My squash was both a flattened globe shape and a pale color more pink than orange but, IIRC, not as tan as a butternut. It was nowhere near as boldly colored as any version of the Boston Marrow.

Its possible that my squash may be a relative of Old-Fashioned Tennessee Vining Pumpkin, though the ones in the picture are taller and less symmetrical. http://www.southernexposure.com/productlist/prods/53603.html

I'll have photos next week of my "Watuaga Pie Pumpkin" plants to compare to the Long Island Cheese plants. They are obviously different even young -- my unknown one has the silver mottling on the leaf while the Long Island Cheese does not.

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have photos of the growing plants for comparison:

First, the Long Island Cheese:

Next, my Watauga Pie Pumpkin (you can see that the two are definitely not a match):
    {{gwi:93454}}

And, for comparison purposes between two mottled-leaf varieties, the Argonaut:

I've seen pictures of the Old-Fashioned Tennessee Vining Pumpkin fruits, but none of the vines. Is anyone growing that and, if so, could you post a photo?

• Bob (Seattle, Zone 8a)
    14 years ago

I'm fascinated! I'm sorry I can't help you with the identification but I love growing winter squash, espeically interesting old varieties. Beautiful leaves too. Can I request a little seed if you have extra? I can send you seed of a very good and slightly bizarre one from Turkey (there's a thread on it here, the Adapazari squash). I'm growing Rouge Vif d'Etampes ("Cinderella") and Marina di Chioggia this year.

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do have some extras of my very old seed. I'm going to hand-pollinate them when the blossoms start so I can get good seed in this year's crop.

Assuming that my seed comes true to my memory and my hand-pollination works I'm intending to offer the seed to gardeners who's like to try it once I've got a fresh supply.

If you want to take your chances with some of my 10-year-old seed -- I can't guarantee any degree of reliable germination -- I'll be happy to send some. And I'd love to try the Adapazari squash. :-)

• Bob (Seattle, Zone 8a)
    14 years ago

Well, it's too late for this year anyway I think; just make sure you bag those female flowers the day before they open if you're growing any other varieties around! :) By the way the yahoo email address is wrong; I'm using dolichos@gmail.com now. I tried resetting it but it won't let me do it without picking a state (in US - I live in friggin' Istanbul!). I don't have Adapazarý seed just now but the markets are full of it in the fall and I'll get you some. There's a big oblong pumpkin they grow in the east of Turkey that i want to get my hands on too. (Heh...I said "no more big squash" but who am I fooling...)

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've studied the thread on how to hand pollinate squash and am going to practice on my summer squash this week.

Hopefully I'll have good, fresh, uncrossed Watauga Pie Pumpkin seed come fall.

Fortunately, since I have 4 kids big squash aren't a problem for me.

• gardener_mary
    14 years ago

Your pumpkin/squash sounds very interesting and looks very nice. If you are open to sharing a few I would be willing to take a chance with those 10 yr old seeds.

Good gardening, Mary

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are some photos of the largest plant and the very first female flower. Its growing on top of a compost pile and vining across some sweetpotatoes.

I'll keep adding photos as things grow and develop.

• Macmex
    14 years ago

I am growing a squash which I received from Garden Web member "rodger" who lives in NC. It's called Old Timey Cornfield Pumpkin and has variable shaped fruit. So far I've noted mango shaped, watermelon shaped and ridge fruit. I planted about 6-8 plants and they are taking over an entire garden! Here's a picture of the leaves of Old Timey Cornfield Pumpkin. Rodger says that this one was traditionally grown in the corn, in that neck of the woods and that they used the fruit for pies, even when they were still green. (I don't know how they did that!)

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Here's a picture of some of the vine & leaves, along with a mango shaped fruit which had recently been hand pollinated.

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looks like the leaves are quite similar, just slightly deeper lobes and a coarser tooth around the edge. A cousin, perhaps?

I should be able to get a better picture of the first female flower tomorrow.

The ones I saw when living in the High Country were uniformly round and slightly flattened with very little variation in size and shape.

• howden777
    14 years ago

Hey, guys. Just curious if iam3killerbs was able to get mature fruit and (more importantly) fresh seeds... Did the fruit match your memories? Were you able to track down the actual variety?

• jatallant87_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

I grew up in Catawba County in NC and my Daddy gave me some seeds of what he called a mountain pumpkin 30 years ago or so. He said he had looked for them for years. I have kept growing them since then and the leaves look like the pictures. They set roots along the vines as they run and I believe they are a type of Cucurbita moschata. The pumpkins are flattened and moderate in size. They make great pies, the flesh is dark orange and flavorful. I have enough seeds from past years to share if anyone is interested is trying to grow them.

• Christine00
    14 years ago

i would be interested in growing a few! winter squash are fascinating!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County