Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zuke and Squash plant question

Posted by wv2ga 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 10:49

Will it harm the zuccini and/or squash plants, if I were to prune back a few of the large leaf stems?

They are growing great (knock on wood), but blocking sun from a few other plants.

Thanks,
Jim
wv2ga

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zuke and Squash plant question

Removing a couple leaves won't hurt, but they'll probably just grow back as big as before.

Summer squash are bush plants but they are BIG bush plants and need elbow room.

Moving the smaller plants may be a better option than trying to tame the enthusiasm of a summer squash. :-)

o

Appreciate the help, my zuccini plants are so big right now that I'm afraid that my kids may get lost under them.

The squash is starting to explode now too. With all the rain we have had in Atlanta, and now it is starting to get hot, everything is taking off. It is great to see.

Thank you again.

o

Mine aren't quite so far along, but I have to put the hose nozzle under the leaves to water them now.

You probably could lose small children under a well-grown zucchini. LOL

o

Any special tips as to best cut those back? After losing them to SVB to years in a row, I'd be sick if they died this year at my hands.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here