Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stupid SVB question

Posted by wv2ga 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 11:27

I have been looking under the leaves, and at the stems of both my zuccinni and squash plants to make sure there are no SVB eggs on them. (Yes, my wife thinks I'm nuts.)

Am I looking for a cluster of eggs or a single egg?

At this point, if it resembles something small and round, it's gone!!!

I'm bound & determined to NOT lose my plants to them for a third straight year!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stupid SVB question

Here's a good thread on the problem, from the Vegetable gardening forum. I haven't tried everything folk there mention.

Basically, I only grow non-resistant species of squash sparingly, knowing that they often won't make it. I do inspect the leaves for squash bug eggs and the stems for squash vine borer eggs. But honestly, the borers sneak past me. I mainly grow squash from the c. moschata family, since most of them resist borers very well. We've taken to growing Scarchuk's Supreme, an acorn squash bred for SVB resistance. It does seem to resist them better than most.

Another possibility you can do is to cover the stems of your squash with soil, wherever possible. This should cause them to root and give them more resistance to those inevitable attacks.

Hope this helps!

George
Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash vine borer solutions

o
RE: Stupid SVB question

Thanks for the advice and like.

It figures that two of the favorite things we love from the garden are two of the favorite things of SVB.

And if you know (I didn't see if from the link), is there a time table as to when we should be okay from the SVB laying eggs and such?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here