Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This is what squash vine borer eggs look like

Posted by momamamo 6A (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 12:14

also posted in Vegetables

Thanks to some fine GW gardeners I found out yesterday that the eggs in the photo below are those of the squash vine borer. Thought you might like to see them.
I'd thought that the eggs were primarily laid at the base, but mine were mostly on the leaf tops. These eggs are miniscule - smaller than the head of a pin. Reddish-brown. Squishable.

I wish the photo was better, sorry about that. The eggs are mostly on the top leaf. Maybe this message will help someone like me that just wants some decent squash! Happy Gardening! Maureen

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This is what squash vine borer eggs look like

I saw the other post in the vegetable forum. That's the first time I've ever had it pointed out that these single eggs, on leaves, can be squash vine borer eggs.

Thanks!

George

o

Hi George! I copied and pasted the below to explain why most of the eggs were on top of the plant. It was a fluke!

They are definitely svb eggs - I confirmed this today with an entomologist. It isn't so odd that the majority of eggs were laid on top of the leaf when you know the circumstances. I saw the moth, got some netting and placed it over the plants. I apparently didn't cover the base of the plants well enough because upon checking on them in the morning, I found myself looking at the moth, sitting on top of a leaf waiting to get out! LOL And some eggs were indeed laid near the base of the plants. I also noticed that some damage had already been done, obviously from an earlier visit. There were tiny moist spots on the stems where larvae had already entered so I dealt with them as best I could.

Thanks George!

o

Hey Maureen - it's hard to see your pics. Did they look something like this? I found about 8 clusters of these today on my yellow squash.

o

Those are squash bug eggs, not squash vine borers. You should still rub them off the leaves with your fingers, they aren't anything you want.

o
Oops! I was wrong

Hey Trev - yeah, I just did some research, and found this link below. While I was inspecting my plant leaves, I found a very large stinkbug looking-thing at the base of one of the plants. After finding this link below, it looked exactly like that bug. As always, thank you very much for always supplying answers to my questions. You're awesome, dude!

Here is a link that might be useful: squash bug eggs

o

Hey, engineeredgarden, I'm glad you got your answer. Thanks, weirdtrev.

By the way, you have a GREAT camera! LOL Maureen

o

Thanks Maureen - I've got an employee that does photography on the side. I made him give me some pointers!

EG

o

I have never seen a vine borer moth nor its eggs,
but they have caused me much grief in my quest for a real large pumkin. I am in georgia, and folks tell me you cannot grow giant pumpkins here. I had a 98lb one 2years ago, and I slowed the little devils down by painting the stems with sevin paste. (the neighbors think I'm nuts). However the plant and pumpkin stopped growing around end of July. I don't know the reason, I pinned the vine borers and did not loose the plant. This season, I will try the row covers on two plants, one I will hand pollinate, and keep the cover on until I get female blossoms 10ft from main stem. The second I will hand pollinate and keep the cover on as long as possible. I may try a systemic bug killer on one also, but that changes the variables too much for a decent analysis.

Thoughts anyone.
gus
pardon the spelling, I got lasy and couldn't find a spell check.

o

Interesting. I knew what squash bug eggs looked like, but not SVB eggs. Though, it does make sense because I know what some other butterfly/moth eggs look like, and these look similar. Butterflies and moths usually flit around dropping off one egg at a time unlike some insects which sit there and lay big clusters or rows (like the squash bugs).

I'll keep my eye out for them to squish. Thanks for the tipoff.

o

They have gotten my zukes and squash three years running. Went as far last year to check each and every plant under the leaves and at the stem for those eggs, never saw them, but they did kill all of the plants. Dug out the borer, and topped that area off with new soil, still died.

Two folks at two local lawn & garden centers personally use sevin dust, and mention that neither of them have ever lost a plant to SVB.

o

This is such a helpful post. Thank you Maureen!

I am doing (for the first time) a full-force series of raised vegetable beds this year and I particularly want to make sure my yellow squash (straighneck) isn't eatened by a bug before the family/coworkers/neighbors get to enjoy it!

My mom laughs at me because every afternoon when I get off work, I go to the veggie beds and look for signs of pests . . . and the bad thing is, I don't necessarily know what to recognize as an "egg" or just a speck of something benign!

Thanks again! -- Amber

o

Ironically, I found SVB eggs today on my yellow straightneck -- around 5 or 6 eggs already!!!

I purchased Spinosad a few days ago and plan on trying it out today. Has anyone ever used this organic insecticide?

o

So are these pictures showing squash bug eggs not SVB???

o

I spend several hours everyday out in my vegetable garden...

Today is the first day I have seen the SVB Moths flying around and landing on the Zucchini & Watermelon plants...

I have had 3 straight seasons of devastation from these little mofo's...

I have tried several different "bug killer" with no luck...

Can anyone recommend a natural home remedy that has brought success...

I am trying to steer clear of pesticidss...

Thanks

o

After 2 seasons of no squash, I'm going back to Sevin. It works.

o

I've had the most beautiful squash plants this year and came home today to find a huge one wilted. I've been sprinkling the base with sevin dust like every week and now they're still getting to them!!!!!!!! GGGGGRRRRRRRR...I've already lost all my yellow squash to them (SVB) this summer. All the rest of my pumpkin plants, about 7 of them...still look great but for how long. I look for the entry on the base but I can never see it. You'd think with all the crap the gov't comes up with, they'd come up with a solution to this havoc wreaking bug!!!!!!!!!!!!! At this point all I can do is pray and continue with Sevin dust unless anyone has any other advice...........Hope springs eternal! LOL

o

I sat by my zucchini plant this morning, weapons in hand (hydrogen peroxide and cute-tips) and picked off dozens of squash borer eggs. One was beginning to turn black and work it's way into the leaf stem, and another stem had evidence that a larva was just beginning his work (got him in very early stage.) We'll see if such diligence pays off!

o

Got these eggs this morning on my pumpkins. Been an epic battle with these evil SOBs errr I mean SVB O.o and plants are thriving after a good slice and dice of the grubs then THESE. Ug. Here we go again. They are scattered among the leaves to not so much at the bases anymore (the bases were buried so maybe? Neways...I'm prepared for as many rounds as it takes while the pumpkins are doing well! Lol

o

Does someone have a picture of the moth, is it actually a moth or a bug?

o

OK looked it up on line, killed one of those a few weeks back.

o

So I smacked one with my hand held bug zapper raquet hehehehe and this is what it looks like still. Flying they resemble a wasp.

o

So I smacked one with my hand held bug zapper raquet hehehehe and this is what it looks like still. Flying they resemble a wasp.

o

That isn't a squash borer, or even a moth. It's a net-winged beetle, perhaps Calopteron discrepans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Net-winged beetles.

o

omg sorry wrong one! Droid told me red and blk wasp like moth and thats what i hunted w/o verification. when i get to my computer i'll edit if i can so as not to confuse! back out with the raquet! hehe

o

Here we go....sorry guys had the wrong bug, great ANOTHER insect to research lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here