Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning squash plants

Posted by orangeblood VA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 07 at 12:25

So my two squash plants are growing really fast (both the zucchini and yellow kind). Some of the giant leaves are starting to push into or cover other things, like my eggplant.

I've already cut off a long stem from each of the two plants. I'd like to get a bit more aggressive however, with the goal of keeping the leaves away from other plants, and maybe even to encourage more upward growth. Will it harm the plants if I prune another one or two stems from each? How will it affect the yield?

By the way, I can't say definitively if these are bush or vine types because the seed packets didn't specify. I've never grown veggies before so take my opinion with a grain of salt... but they don't appear to have any inclination to climb, so I'm thinking they're the bush variety.

Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning squash plants

Most summer squash varieties are bush and don't spread out more than, say, four or five feet from their roots. You can prune some. But try to remove only growing tips so as not to leave large wounds to draw squash bugs. Also, after a point, the plant may stop thriving.

George

o

Thanks George! I pruned three stems away from each... we'll see how it goes.

I see you live in Tallequah... my parents are in Checotah. (But I'm a long way from them here in Va.)

o

I have a similar dilemma, but with winter squash plants.

I am growing Buttercup squash for the first time in the NW UK. I usually grow marrows, so this is a new crop for me, and I foolishly thought the plants would be about the size of a large trailing marrow plant...

I think I'm going to have to prune the plants - they are well on the way to overgrowing and smothering nearby crops with the vines.

The problem is that most of the female flowers are developing near the ends of the growing vines. What I would like to know is, if I prune off the longer vines, will the plant produce new side shoots with more female flowers, or will I have cut off most of the potential crop?

o

YOU could try redirecting the vines. I read someone curled the vines around and around the center of the plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here