Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iam3killerbs

First Sighting -- The Dreaded Squash Bug

iam3killerbs
14 years ago

I've had my first sightings of those beadlike, little, brown eggs AND of a lone adult.

I've got some old, mylar, camping blankets. Any thoughts on how to get the reflective mulch well secured since they're a bit fragile and, being in the Sandhills, have no rocks?

Comments (7)

• weirdtrev
    14 years ago

Well you can bury the edges of the blankets or sometimes I make garden staples out of sticks. Just take a short thin stick, preferably not dry. Bend it which will likely snap it if it is old wood. But the key it is to not break it into two pieces you just want to make a V shape that you can use to poke through your mulch and into the ground. I also sometimes cut up old metal clothes hangers to do the same thing. Though I am fully aware of how thin those blankets are and I suspect the wind will cause then to be torn to shreds if they are able to move too much.

• wv2ga
    14 years ago

Saw the cluster of eggs on one zuccini plant just yesterday. Scraped them off, but I still need to inspect the rest of the squash and zuccini plants.

I have been diligent in spraying the plants with Sevin every 7 to 10 days.

Any help in what to do?

I have lost both my zuke and squash plants to SVB the past two seasons, and I determined not to let it happen again.

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The problem with Sevin is that you can kill the bees that your squash require for pollination. I only use it as a last resort when I'm going to lose the crop otherwise.

I'm dusting with Bt -- which only affects caterpillars -- and putting in reflective mulch that may or may not upset the squash bugs.

I'd like to hear from someone who knows how to do the injection of Bt into the vines to kill the borers where they hide.

• wv2ga
    14 years ago

Stupid question...

What is Bt? And where do I find it?

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bt is a bacteria that kills only caterpillars. Dipel is the brand I found. I had to go to a local feed store/farm center because Lowes didn't have it.

Here's a link to an article:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bt article

• quillsd
    14 years ago

Has anyone tried spreading mothballs around the edge of your garden? We do this every year around our property to keep the skunks and possums out. I planted a pumpkin patch this year and after a visit by the local rabbits I spread some moth balls around the bed and they haven't been touched since. I'm just thinking maybe this will help.

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, I've never tried mothballs.

I probably never will. The smell makes me ill and I would be concerned about their effect on the beneficials.

If it works on your 4-legged pests of the clever sort who aren't deterred by ordinary fencing though its the right solution for you. :-)