Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
finishes

Posted by sassie60 Z4 ON (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 13:29

I have been using Varathane, Spar Varnishes, on the outside of my gourds. They work well but one person told me that they have quite an odour. Does anyone have an odourless good product that they use on the outside of their gourds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: finishes

I use Minwax Polycrylic sealer on mine.Have had no problems with it.I usually try to put at least 3 coats on.It is water based and brushes clean up with water.I use it on the birdhouses that are hung outside also and have had no problems.

o

Thanks for the info Lillie. I'll have to give it a try.

o

Most finishes do have an odor but that should mellow out in a few hours. If you need a finish for outside birdhouses try Helmsman Spar Varnish.Lots of stores carry it - Walmart, Home Depot, etc. If you are using it for indoors I like a really heavy gloss finish (makes it look kinda like ceramic) I use FolkArt HiGloss Finish, spray on.

o

Like Lillie 1441, I use Minwax Polycrylic on my inside pieces. I have found that it doesn't turn the whites in my paintings yellow. And, yes, the water clean up is great.
For outside work I use the Sparurathane. Although you get a strong odor in the beginning...the smell does fade away pretty quick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here