Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Squash - Can someone ID this?

Posted by Becca.916 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 13:37

This is from a summer squash mix! I have a ton of squash (winter and summer) growing in my garden, so this is probably a cross pollinated squash, but I also have pumpkins growing in my garden and this thing looks just like a pumpkin! Has anyone ever seen this kind before? It is vining all over the garden - but I swear its NOT a pumpkin.. hope to hear from someone! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Squash - Can someone ID this?

• Posted by planetes 7b (Cascadia - PNW) (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 1:10

Just as an observation, the difference between a winter squash and a pumpkin is.. well.. nada. We call some winter squash pumpkins because they're orange or it's tradition. Not because there is any culinary or botanical difference (there's neither).

Now, to answer your original question it could be a hybrid. were the seeds ones you saved or volunteers or were they newly purchased?

The shape looks similar to a buttercup some varieties but it's not something I recognize.

o
RE: Mystery Squash - Can someone ID this?

Whatever it is, it was not mature when you picked it. Mature squash lack the high gloss you can see on developing squash. If it is vining there is a good chance that it is a winter squash, and it is unlikely that is the mature color. Let the rest grow to maturity. My guess is some sort of C. maxima winter squash/pumpkin since they have many varieties that start off yellow. If you know what varieties you planted we can can probably tell you what it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here