Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butternut squash-does it grow up or across ground?

Posted by mfran12345 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 13:45

How does butternut squash grow, vertical on a trellis or spread out across the ground? There is a butternut squash plant growing in my garden and I'm not sure what to do with it.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butternut squash-does it grow up or across ground?

Mine have always traveled across the ground.
The squash can get quite large they would be tooooo heavy on a trellis

o

That's what I assumed but wanted to check. I have about 3-4 feet around all sides of it. Do you think that'll be enough room?

o

Well could be, then if it very healthy maybe not. I think 3-4ft would be ok. If it gets out of hand just snip off some of the trailer ends and stop it from spreading. Don't water from above No wet leaves(fungus). Watch for squash bugs, You should be on your way to some nice butter nut.
Arizona
PS I am 1 blog below you trying to figure out what we planted -that's my shoe

This post was edited by campv on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 17:00

o

Last year I let my butternut squash climb up my chain link fence. I loved it. It was very easy to pick the fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here