Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Zukes!!!

Posted by wv2ga GA-7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 14:19

For the past few years my zukes have done quite well (before July started and SVB killed them), this year---nothing, na-da, zippy. Typcially, I picked a number of them per week at this time of year. The plants look healthy and strong with a number of flower buds on them, but nothing is turning into fruit.

I was trying to figure out why. My only conclusions are 1) rabbits/possums/squirells etc, or 2) would sevin dust hurt them (first year using it)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I'm very down about this. Just love to fry them or grilled them. But just nothing this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Zukes!!!

Are you getting female flowers- with the baby squash behind the flower? It's not uncommon for the first flowers to be all male(no baby squash). If you do have female flowers, then pollination is the issue. Maybe all of the rain and high humidity is affecting natural pollination. You migh try hand pollinating. There are many posts describing the process, if you're not familiar.
Good Luck!
Susan

o

I'll do a little homework about pollination. I'm not afraid to admit that part of gardening is over my head, but not at all afraid to learn.

One question, how do you tell a male flower from a female flower? (Yes, I feel like I just set myself up for a bad punch line :-)

Thank you.

o

Hi wv2ga. I'll leave the bad punch line to the quick, clever members :) Here's a link to a dandy thread on hand pollination, complete with helpful pics. Note how the female flowers have a tiny squash behind the blossom? The male flowers don't have that, erm, pregnant look to them :) Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand pollination of Squash

o

You might have killed the bees with the sevin dust.
Next time plant "Elite" hybrid zucchini, you will have more than you and your neighbors can eat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here