Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5-15-5 Fertilizer for Pumpkins

Posted by JoKuehn IL (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 14:20

Hi All,

I read that a good pumpkin fertilizer to start out the growing season is one that is 5-15-5. When I look online, the only fertilizer that I can find with those numbers is used for Palm Trees. I suppose it doesn't matter because the numbers match, it just seems odd.

Has anyone else used this fertilizer? What does everyone else use? Thanks,

Jolene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5-15-5 Fertilizer for Pumpkins

If im not mistaken my fishbone meal is 5/15/0 is great it has exactly what you want,you can get that other last 5 they suggest by just putting in a 3/4/5 or3/4/6/ or similar does not have to be exactly precise plus you can put some wood ash + and or granite and or basalt dust or sand from a rock quarry at $5 for 5 gallons left over from crushing and cracking there stones this all has the potassium of 3 to 6 percent in it long term put some bagged composted cow manure in it this has alot of the balance you need aswell plus is has the needed healthy microbacterial things in it to break down the npk in the soil to make it available to the plant one big mistake people make is add to much fertilizer when most times there is enough what they do not understand is that the soil needs a healthy bacterial activity to break down what is there to make it available to the plant and to encourage that healthy bacterial count add 1 to 3 tablespoon of molasses to each gallon of water every once in awhile when you water the plants and there is not so expensive organic slow release fertilizers that have these healthy bacteria and healthy fungi infused in it that have a shelf life in that fertilizer for about 2 plus years and great helps the soil to give you great plants what ever they are hope that helped but remember we do not live on vitamin C alone so give your plants a healthy variety of nutrients that are natural as possible and you will do great(P.S.Do not forget add some blood meal they love nitrogen plus periodically water it with a 9 to 1 ratio of milk and water you will do great

o

That is a bloom booster type, high in Phosphorous. It is good for flowers, but has way TOO MUCH "P" for squash. Another thing is that most soils have more than enough P
( N - P - K)
( 5 -15 -5)

o

Thanks for the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here