Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elsbed

Straightneck squash wilting

elsbed
14 years ago

I have a straightneck squash in an earthbox with three cucumbers. The cukes are starting to fizzle out and I plan to pull them out soon. However...I'm trying to save the squash plant, which has produced several squash but recently developed powdery mildew. I sprayed, first with neem, then a few days later with Soap Shield. Now, a week later, the leaves are beginning to wilt. First a few at a time, but last night the whole plant was pretty much hanging. This morning, though, the new growth appeared to perk up (it has been really starting to heat up and get humid lately) I could just rip the whole thing out, but I hate to as there are numerous female flowers on the verge of coming out.

I'm wondering if I should let it go a little while longer, or rip it out before it spreads a disease?

I've seen a few squash bugs on the cukes and squash, but killed them by hand.

At one point the box itself had tipped over and the fertilizer strip (if anyone is familiar with earthboxes) presumably got wet...I'm wondering if this could be an issue with overfertilization (although that happened about six weeks ago).

Sorry for the many and varied questions...I am new to growing squash and have gotten quite fond of them!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets