Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White/Silver Blotches Fungus?

Posted by planter_geek 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 08 at 14:23

My garden was looking very healthy until I got something showing up on the ground vine plants that might be a fungus. I'm not sure what it is, and I can't find my camera to take any pictures. They aren't small white dots like some of the pictures I saw on this forum. I used almost an entire spray bottle going around trying to kill what might be fungus. I look on the bottom sides of the leaves, and the spots dont appear there. I came back about 30 minutes after spraying them, and they still look the same. How long does it take for the fungus spray to work because I'm not even sure if fungus is what I see? It says it has about 1% of some type of oil in it. The spots have not spread to any plants that aren't ground vines, but the Sunflowers aren't looking as healthy either. I think they couldn't handle the fertilizer even though I wasn't using more than the directions said, so I quit using that waiting for them to recover. What is likely to be the problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White/Silver Blotches Fungus?

It's hard without a photo. Some squash have silver/white markings in the leaves and there is nothing wrong when they do. Here's a picture of a squash which has such markings. Is this anything like yours?

George
Tahlequah, OK

Calabaza Castilla (Ixmiquilpan strain)

o

I have silvery markings on some of my leaves too... I was told it was ok... I came back after asking with a close up pic to show what I was talking about, instead I'll put it here and hopefully it helps you.

silvery pumpkin leaf

o

Macmex, thanks for posting the photo. I just joined this site because my Hybrid Greyzinis also haved silver/white spots on the leaves. I have never had this problem in the past, but then again, I never planted this particular zuke.

I have been going crazy checking for bugs, eggs, etc. I found a few spider mites and small ants which concerns me, but I can probably figure out how to get rid of those pests.

What a relief. I thought I had some horrible disease that would spread to my other plants. Do you know if this "condition" is weather related? I live in MA which I am pretty sure Zone 6. Last week was 90-100 degrees and humid almost all week. This week we have yet to hit 75 degrees.

o

No, it's just built into the genes. For that particular plant, it would be bad news if it didn't have such markings. I think the markings are beautiful.

George

o

Hey George,

What do you have growing in that photo? I really like the look of those leaves.

o

Hello,

My pumpkin leaves have white blotches on them. Only two though, and the rest of the plant/vine seems healthy. Should I be doing something or...?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here