Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justin_e

Dying pumpkin vines

Justin_E
11 years ago

I've noticed some of my pumpkin vines have started turning yellow and dying. I've lost one and another one is just starting to yellow. I've seen minimal amount of insects. A few squash bugs. I think I've mostly gotten rid of them. What else could it be and what can I do to save my plants?

Comments (9)

• barnhardt9999
    11 years ago

Looks like squash vine borers to me. Look at the base of the stem and see if you see any splits with saw-dust like pith coming out. If so they are eating the vines from the inside. If that's the case pitch the plant immediately.

I had the same problem. See my "Butternut squash not flowering" post. Unless your in the mountains, you probably have enough time to start another crop. SVB only attack once per year around Late May/Early June.

• Justin_E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! I just checked. I didn't notice any dust or splitting. Could be wrong. I'll check out the thread you mentioned.

• barnhardt9999
    11 years ago

Look for a vine that has more leaves wilting when it gets really hot (it looks like maybe the leaves at the bottom of the picture are wilted more than the others). If you notice one, you may want to cut it off where it splits from the main stem(you might loose 1 pumpkin). Split it open vertically and look for grub-like worms. If you do have SVB's the plant is toast and you will want to get a new one started ASAP.

• Justin_E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I looked at two of the wilting leaves but didn't see anything.

• steven1032
    11 years ago

Phytophthora Root Rot

• steven1032
    11 years ago

try this link out it will tell you all about root rot

Here is a link that might be useful: agri life extension

• Justin_E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Now to figure out how to save my vines, if possible.

• Justin_E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, East Tennessee.