Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topnotchveggie

1st Year Growing Pumpkins - Seeking Advice

topnotchveggie
16 years ago

This is the 1st year I am growing pumpkins and have a few questions to get me started on the right foot. I am growing both Connecticut Field and Big Max. I am also looking for a smaller variety (similar to baby-boo and jack be little), but I can not find them at my local retailer, since they decided to take the stock off the floor for the year. Anyway.

Connecticut Field

I started the Connecticut Field in a soilless mix a couple weeks ago and they seem to have emerged very well and within a short amount of time I had a number of true leaves emerge. What is the technical term for first ones, I know they are not true? I then decided to transplant them outside to raised hills. Still waiting for larger leave growth and the trendils to emerge. Over the last week, we have had some pretty warm weather, so I am wondering whats the rule of thumb on watering pumpkin plants? I generally water on a regular basis (as needed), but I find at times the true leaves seem to wilt and become a bit flimsy. But short after watering (once again) they begin to perk up. In addition, the first leaves that emerge (not true leaves), have yellowed a bit and have lost any vigor. Is this usual? Suggestions?

Big Max

The Big Max were also planted in a soilless mix, and then placed in full sun when the plant began to emerge late last week. Currently, I am waiting for the true leaves to emerge before transplanting in the garden for the season. Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting