Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minirose1

Bat Wing Pumpkin

minirose1
15 years ago

Hi, am curious if anyone on here has grown the little Bat Wing pumpkin and what they did with them. I thought they were so cute and looks like am going to have a bumper crop. They are listed as ornamental, but was wondering if they were at all edible. Would be grateful for any tips or information.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

It is an Acorn squash, primarily sold for its novel appearance, but it is edible. Have not grown so don't know its flavor relative to other acorns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Batwing

• sueloring
    15 years ago

We have grown BatWing Pumpkins for past 4 years.
    Last year a friend grew the BatWing Squash and they were different from the pumpkins. The BatWing Squash were shaped just like a little acorn squash ....where as the pumpkins are nice, sturdy round pumpkins.
    I have found that if you pick the first pumpkin as soon as its ready you will have large supply of smaller grapefruit size fruit with really great "Bat" marking.
    If you let the pumpkins grow longer they will get as big as volleyball and you will get about 4 per plant but not as much black on the pumpkins.
    We grew 46 hills of batwing pumpkins last year and ended up with quite a collection of batwings to chose from....no two were alike.We have a pumpkin roadside stand here at our home and batwing pumpkins have always been a top seller.
    As far as eating the batwing squash...had customers tell me they were a little nuttier tasting than regular acorn squash.

• minirose1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information. We have several now about as big as softballs. When is the best size to pick or better still how do you know when they are ready? I would think they would be best picked in the fall, but that might not be right.

• sueloring
    15 years ago

Watch the coloring...they will go from being bright orange to almost a burnt orange. Also the "bat" marking will go from dark green to black. Then they are ready to be picked.

• minirose1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks a million Sue, you've been a big help.

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

Well now I am growing the Bat Wings Pumpkin this year too, but I read these pumpkin were really qourds? Are these edible?

Thanks,

Vera

• HU-253578889
    2 years ago

The green on my batwing is fading to orange. What did I do wrong?

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor