Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my female pumpkin flowers are falling off!!!

Posted by MissKayle10-3-13 9 (misskayle32314@gmail.com) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 15:11

Please help! Ive already had one female pumpkin flower turn yellow and fall off, but now my second one is doing the same thing! At first i had the vine running across the ground, but when the first female fell off i thought maybe it could be that it was rubbing too much on the ground, so i took some skewers and crisscrossed them to lift up the vine completely off the ground, but now the second female is turning yellow and looks like it might abort as well. This is my first time growing pumpkins so please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my female pumpkin flowers are falling off!!!

Hi again, its my first time growing pumpkins too and I'm really hoping to get it right so I understand your concern. I've done a ton of research and I'd love to help you if I can. As I said before, I would definitely get your vine back on the ground and be sure that it has contact with nice, healthy soil to reroot.
I know watching the female flowers die off can be upsetting but often pumpkin growers pull off the female flowers until the vine is very sturdy and 8-10 feet long to ensure larger pumpkins so it might not be a bad thing (I used to hate watching my lemon tree drop fruit but really it is just the plant doing what it needs to do to produce great fruit!)
Anyhow, would you mind telling me, how long are the vines on your pumpkin plants?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here