Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OK to mound soil up around the base?

Posted by actionclaw (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 16:06

I've never tried growing (zucchini & yellow) squash before --at least not intentionally. They're all growing well, getting bigger which in turn causes them to be heavier, become unbalanced and flop over. I know some plants, such as tomatoes, like to dig their stems further into the soil to grow more roots, etc. while others need a nice dry exposed stem and would otherwise rot.
How do squash feel about it?
Is it safe to support the plants by mounding additional soil/mulch higher up around the base?
I understand once the vines start running they can/should be buried and will sprout more roots so I assume this should be OK but thought it may not apply so close to the crown and so a good idea to check first.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OK to mound soil up around the base?

I would think it would be fine. they will normally form roots along the buried stem. the hard part is going to be keeping them still long enough to form roots with those big kite like leaves they have. maybe a stake would be better. me though I just let them lay as they are because they'll get those leaves turned back to the sun within a day or two anyway.

o
RE: OK to mound soil up around the base?

> turned back to the sun within a day or two anyway.

Yep. Just as you say. The lower stem direction changes but then the plant just repositions itself to be the same as it was.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here