Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadow_lark

1st time gourder here!

meadow_lark
18 years ago

Hi! I'm in Alabama. I've just purchased 12 birdhouse gourd seeds and 12 dipper seeds.

I also bought two bags of garden soil.

I plan on allowing the gourds to grow on my back field fencing.

1. Do I need to do anything to the seeds before planting?

2. How deep do I plant (I bought them from a feed store - they have no instructions)

3. Do I plant all of the seeds? (About a 4 foot x 1 foot area of ground, but endless fence.)

4. Do I mulch with pine straw?

5. Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanx... Meadow Lark

Comments (16)

• Nonnie_GA
    18 years ago

Meadow Lark, I do not grow gourds; wish I had the sun and room to do so. I decorate gourds. What I suggest is that you go to Google.com and put "how to grow gourds" and it will come up with many tips for you.

Sandra

• caseyst_sc
    18 years ago

I do grow gourds. Here's a few tips:

1. Do I need to do anything to the seeds before planting?

Nope. Gourds are about the friendliest plant you can grow. Drop them into a hole, no soaking or "snipping" or stratifying needed. Plant them like cucumbers, give them a place to climb and they'll reward you like crazy.

2. How deep do I plant (I bought them from a feed store - they have no instructions)

Bout an inch deep is fine. Just make sure they don't dry out while you're waiting for them to come up (about 4-5 days is normal for mine).

3. Do I plant all of the seeds? (About a 4 foot x 1 foot area of ground, but endless fence.)

If you plant them next to the fence and it's *endless*, plant a couple feet apart and keep going til you run out of seeds! They will love the fence and ignore the rest of the soil around. :)

4. Do I mulch with pine straw?

Save the pine straw for your azaleas and blueberries. They love the acidity, gourds aren't too happy about it. Mulch your gourds with well rotted hay, old newspapers, shredded leaves.

5. Any other comments or suggestions?

Only a warning. You will be addicted after this growing season. Go out and talk to them in the late afternoons when the flowers bloom... they love that. Watch the little gourds get huge and be astounded at how fast they grow. Don't think you aren't artistic because there are a million ways to decorate them and there is no *wrong* way to do it. And, on top of everything, even with the wonderful gourd artists out there who don't grow, the ones of us who do grow our own experience the most amazing pride at having seen a gourd from seed to work of art. It's one of the most personal art forms you can ever tackle.

Enjoy your babies!

Casey

• meadow_lark
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you both for your responses...

Casey - extra thanx to you! My newest "babies" will be in the ground on Saturday!

As I am unaware of any 12-Step program for my affliction, I fear that Gourds my soon become my newest addiction!

Wishing you happiness... Meadow Lark

• msbunny
    18 years ago

Hi Meadow Lark. Hun, gourds will grow almost anywhere! They'll climb like monkeys and the flowers open at dusk. It is amazing how fast they grow, and it just tickles me to see the little ones starting and a week later they seem huge! YOU WILL GROW THEM AGAIN!!! As for decorating after they cure, my 12 year old son done a real cute one with a burning tool. I'm an artist by trade, and gourds are so versital. Staining a gourd is pretty, and easy.
    You'll love these little lumps no matter what you do with them! Think "birdhouses". A hole is all you need, and the birds aren't art critics! Have fun, I know you will.

• littlepockets
    18 years ago

I'd like to try growing gourds. I read all the good advice on this post. Question: If I can find seed-will most likely have to mail order- is it to late to plant now, if so can seeds be planted in fall?
    Just found this forum I''m excited!

• caseyst_sc
    18 years ago

Even this late is not too late. Choose smaller gourds... Mexican bottle gourds are wonderful if you don't have a lot of time and as a bonus they dry really quickly, also egg gourds (what fun those are!) There are even "jewelry gourds" that are just tiny things. But try any you like, the experience of growing them is half the fun!

Casey

• caseyst_sc
    18 years ago

OH, btw... forgot to mention... frost is a gourd vine's worst enemy. So, no fall planting, they need long hot days if humanly (and gourdly) possible.

• Belgianpup
    18 years ago

The only Twelve-Step Program here is grow MORE gourds!

Sue

• pipers
    18 years ago

hello, the advice you got was good. I have grown gourds for about 5 years.. they are habit forming.... One suggestion is to soak the seeds over nite, you dont have to ,but it helps to get the sprouting going, when it is very hot. dont want to let them dry out ... good luck!! pipers

• sandy409
    18 years ago

Like Casey this is my first year to grow gourds, I started out with the apple gourd and can't believe the beautiful gourds all over my vines, all sizes right now. Next I have to check on how to know when they are ready to pick and how to dry. I'm sure I can find something on the FAQ board. But where is a good source for mail order gourd seeds that have the different varieties like the ones you mentioned above (jewelry and mexican bottle gourds)? I'm trying to decide where I can plan more gourds next year, may have to take over more of my husbands garden. I think you all are right - this may just become addictive!!
    Sandy

• caseyst_sc
    18 years ago

Actually this isn't my first year to grow gourds, this is about the 15th year I've grown them. :)

Casey

• LakeEden99
    18 years ago

I have wanted to grow gourds for years but until now haven't had the space. DH & I now have some property on which we've cleared a large space for veggies, etc. Still no water well, so didn't try to do much with it this year which was good, since we're in a drought now. Next year, though, the well should be in and I can finally try some gourds. I've been reading through some of the messages here and have enjoyed learning about the various kinds. Any ideas for good seed sources? I've looked around here and haven't seen any, which made me think most may be "pass alongs" or specialty seeds. In any event, I'll no doubt have questions next year and will be looking for advice. Nice to know I'll have you guys to turn to!

• huggins
    18 years ago

Hi--I had all my gourds planted and just recently thought to try something that I read-It said to soak the seeds in unsweetened tea for 36 hours before planting so I decided to try it (even though it was already the end of June) since I had the seeds anyway--It said they would sprout in 3 to 5 days . They did come up but took a little longer than specified time--Just an experiment to see how well they do this late in the year in N IL--I will let you know how they do--Gourds are the most fun to try and grow--I bought some last year (and it took a while to dry them) and decorated them-Now I am cutting the tops off some to make bowls--Just a lot of fun--wish I would have started this 10 or 15 years ago--Have fun--Nancy

• glennjr710_comcast_net
    15 years ago

I am planting gourds here in PA and they are not sprouting (did not sprout for 14 days)what do i do?

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

I am South of you in MD and I have not planted mine yet. The most likely problem is that the ground is too cold. It is possible that the seeds rotted in the cold wet soil or the seeds are just waiting for warmer weather to sprout. If you have seeds to spare plant a few more seeds and hope for the best.

• tomakers
    15 years ago

Mine sometimes take 19-20 days even with bottom heat to sprout. Some varieties are worse than others. Try digging up a seed to see if they have rotted. Just do it carefully. If you can't find seeds, replant.
    Good Luck,
    Tom

Sponsored