Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
punkgardner

Do the pumpkin fruits need to be in the sun?

PunkGardner
9 years ago

Hello all.
I am going to try to plant pumpkins in the next day or so in my raised bed. I was hoping to let the vines go out of the box and lay on the ground, but the ideal location would have the pumpkin fruits sitting in a position where the box itself will likely block a lot of sunlight, putting the pumpkin fruits in the shade. The area where the seeds were planted would still be getting good sunlight.
So, does anyone know if the fruit itself can sit in the shade or does the pumpkin need to get the sunlight as well?

Comments (4)

• mav72
    9 years ago

I unintentionally had squash grow in the shade of bushes. I even lost some large ones in the bushes. They came out just fine.. I've even had squash fruits hidden by it's own foliage until the vine died down. So I hink it's ok for your pumpkins.

On another note, I've noticed that exposed winter mellon fruit usually don't develop but that's just in my case.

• socks
    9 years ago

Don't really know, but here's my thinking:

How high is the box, 1'? The tallest leaves on my pumpkins are a little over 1'. I find that the pumpkin leaves usually shade the pumpkins themselves, so I'm thinking being in the shade might be ok. And if the leaves themselves are in the shade from the box, they will probably reach up to get enough sun. And when the vine grows long, won't it be beyond the box, then in full sun?

As the Sun moves during the day, won't the vine and pumpkins be in full Sun at some point?

I grow pumpkins this way, train the vines outside the garden because otherwise they take up all the space. One goes up the driveway, the other goes out on a hot, asphalt alleyway. I thought the pumpkins would cook out there last year, but they were fine. I sat them on Styrofoam meat trays, and they were shaded by the leaves.

I probably have not answered your question, but really the only way to find out is to try it. What have you got to lose?

• PunkGardner
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses. The box is 16" high, and thus throws some shade. I think that I will be able to find some light for it for sure, but unfortunately, the only open spot in the box is set up to throw vines the worst possible direction for light. But I think they are long vines so that's for the best.
    I am still just gonna go for it, as with all my plants. Hopefully I am not too late to get something carveable for Oct 31.
    Cheers!

• mav72
    9 years ago

I unintentionally had squash grow in the shade of bushes. I even lost some large ones in the bushes. They came out just fine.. I've even had squash fruits hidden by it's own foliage until the vine died down. So I hink it's ok for your pumpkins.

On another note, I've noticed that exposed winter mellon fruit usually don't develop but that's just in my case.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz