Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash in the shade...

Posted by plantslayer 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 17:04

So I got a few kabocha-style squash growing in a bed that gets a lot of shade. I bet they only get 4-5 hours of direct sunlight, if that. However, if the young squash grow quickly I will be able to lead them out onto areas where they will get full sunlight for most of the day (say 6 or 7 feet from the base of the plants).

So I am wondering, will the plants be able catch up in this setup? Also, can I somehow stimulate fast growth so they can reach more sunlight? Will that help them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash in the shade...

All you can do is try it and see. Liquid fertilizer every couple of weeks should maximize growth potential. You can read on some of the forums about the use of reflective light, using foil or white surfaces to reflect light towards your shaded plants. Careful not to use a refractive surface that could burn the plants.

Best of Luck!
Susan

o
RE: Squash in the shade...

I grew some yellow summer squash in the shade of a mesquite tree ... they were lanky, but grew quite well.

They will head for the sun on their own.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here