Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imnewatthis2010

Help with pumpkin garden (small area with 3 plants)

imnewatthis2010
12 years ago

So I'm attempting to grow some more pumpkins this year.. last year I wasn't sure how many to plant and ended up putting wayyyyy too many in such a small area.. but ended up getting 3 pumpkins out of it, the rest seemed to die small. But this year I learned my lesson and only planted 3 plants in that area instead. So far they are growing like crazy and I already have a few small buds starting. I wanted to get some tips and advice before the vines started creeping all over.

1.)I wanted to know if there was a way to isolate each plant so that they don't run into eachother, or is it ok if they do that?

2.)Also since I have such limited space, is there any way keep them contained so they dont run up the fence? or is the fence possibly a good thing since they could hang up there?

3.)Also I think I need some help with when/how to trim what vines so they focus just on 2 pumpkins per plant and how I know when to trim them, dead leaves as well.

I have 3 plants and I'm hoping to get maybe 2 pumpkins from each one? If thats possible. I noticed some ants and slugs around there so I've been lightly dusting that insect dust on the leaves. I'll upload a picture when possible. But to get an idea of my garden: It's in my backyard in NW Pennsylvania, it's about 7 ish feet long, and 3 feet wide( with one side up against a fence and the other just attaching to the lawn.

Oh I also used miracle grow vegetable fertilizer that you mix with water, then i just water the stem of the plant where it goes into the ground.

Sorry for the long wall of text! = / I'm just looking for the best way to take care of these, it's too much fun to let them just die.

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored