Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new varieties

Posted by fpgoa nj (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 16, 09 at 17:28

So I decided to grow some different varieties of pumpkins this year as well as some old familiar summer squash and zucchini. I ordered the seeds online (rough vtifs, kukai, blue jarradale) and the plants don't seem to be moving along as well as my old standbys. The online company I found out has tons of complaints. Does anybody know where I can see photos of seedlings through plant phase of these plants so I can see if my stuff is getting going or if I have some sick or weak plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new varieties

Jarrahdale is fairly well known, An Australian cultivar. Never heard of Kukai, but there is a Kakai. 'Rouge Vif d'Etampes' is an old French cultivar sometimes called the cinderella pumpkin. None of them are going to compete in yield with modern native cultivars. All of these are imported cultivars. If the seed germinated and they are the cultivar specified, the vendors responsibility has ended. If in further doubt, these cultivars are widely available from high rated companies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kakai

o

I appreciate your help, farmerdilla. I know they won't grow the way a modern burpee would. I am just trying to figure out if they are growing as they should or if they did not take. I had big max and jack be little and hercules last year and I had vines all over the place. My squash are doing good but these guys (I am assuming they are from their seeds, not volunteers or seeds the squirrels dug up and placed elsewhere, as they have done in seasons past). I am trying to see what their plants look like and figure out if I am going to get anything.

o
RE: new varieties photos included

here is a link to some photos I took tonight of the crops. Any identification help would be appreciated.

http://twitpic.com/photos/njrossdawg

Here is a link that might be useful: my twitpic pumpkins

o

Found a product order from the seed. Besides the names listed previously I find other seeds listed as fairytale besides the rouge dtiv.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here