Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fritz_monroe

Newbie gardening questions

fritz_monroe
15 years ago

This is my first year planting a garden. I have 2 zucchini plants that are looking really good. The one plant has a flower that's been open the past couple days, but it's the only flower that's open. There are several male flowers on the plant, just not yet opened. Will the squash this flower is attached to develop even without male flowers open? Does it need fertilized to produce the fruit or only to develop viable seeds?

Thanks

Comments (12)

• nick123
    15 years ago

Depends upon the cultivar. There are a few parthenocarpic zucchini, such as Jackpot that will bear fruit without pollination.

• nick123
    15 years ago

I should have added that zucchini is Cucurbita pepo, the same species as true pumpkins (not those giant orange hubbards which are C. maxima), crookneck squash, scallop squash, delicata, acorn squash, and many others. If you can get a male flower from any of the above, it will pollinate your female zucchini flower.

• fritz_monroe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These are grey zucchini. I don't have any of the other species growing. And looking around the neighborhood, it doesn't look like there's anyone within a 1/4 mile that's growing a vegetable garden. But here's hoping that somehow I have a male flower somewhere around.

I now have 2 female flowers opened up. I posted this same question in another forum and the person answering said that the squash would abort. Know any details of this? Will it just shrivel up? How big do you think it will get before that happens?

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

If it is pollinated it will grow immediately, otherwise it will rot in a couple days. It won't get any bigger if it is not pollinated. If after a day you see no change in size it probably didn't get pollinated. You can however still eat them with the blossom still attached, even though there isn't much to them.

• fritz_monroe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, that zuke wasn't pollinated. Today it turned yellow and the end with the blossom got really soft. So I cut it off. But this morning there was a male and female flower open. Tonight I took a good look and tomorrow morning there will be several male and females open on each plant. I don't see a lot of bees around, so hope some make it to the flowers. I did see some ants climbing on the flowers, any chance they will pollinate the flowers?

• zeuspaul
    15 years ago

If there are no bees pick the male flower and remove the petals. Then use the center of the male flower to brush the center of the female flower.

Zeuspaul

• fritz_monroe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, there is something that's pollinating them. I have a zuke that is growing like crazy. In the past 2 days it went from about 2" to just shy of 5". So it's getting there.

I've looked at the possibility of hand pollinating, but I wanted to give nature a shot first. If we don't start getting more that are pollinating, I'll give hand pollination a try.

Thanks everyone.

• fritz_monroe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I figured I'd give an update. Today I picked an 8" zucchini. I don't like cooked zuchini, but my wife does, so I wanted to ensure that she gets a good tender zuke. We only have 2 plants, but have 3 or 4 zucchinis that are growing like mad.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Is this a male or female?

• fritz_monroe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In your thread, someone said it was male. Personally, I can't tell without seeing the stem. The female has a little squash attached to it.

• tcstoehr
    14 years ago

Definitely male. The female flower has much more going on in there. The male has a single, monolithic structure like in the picture. The female has a much larger structure which looks like it's sorta subdivided. Kinda forms a ring.

• ethansmumy
    14 years ago

I am growing pumpkins for the first time. I am worried about all the rain we have been getting lately only due to the fact that I am scared my blossoms won't pollinate. Can pollination still occur in the rain? My husband mentioned the wind helps too but I am just getting nervous that I won't have any pumpkins. I have read about taping blossoms shut how do you do this and would anyone recommend me to do this?

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services