Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Birds eating my pumpkin seeds

Posted by scootchy 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 07 at 17:43

I planted a lot of different kinds of pumpkin seeds and the birds are plucking them out and eating them. Needless to say this is unacceptable. Any ideas as to how to stop this? I direct seeded. I am now starting flats in a protected area to plant directly in the garden when they germinate, but I would like a way to direct seed and protect my plants. I might add that I grow quite a few pumpkins.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Birds eating my pumpkin seeds

I covered my bean seeds with chicken wire until a couple of weeks after they sprouted. But that was only a few square feet... not sure how much area you have to contend with.

o
RE: Birds eating my pumpkin seeds

I had the same problem with green bean seeds. I strung up some string and hung those disposable pie plates from the string. Just put a hole in the rim of the pie dish and thread a string thru. Then tie to your upper line. Make sure they are off the ground about 6 inches. The pie tins spin and turn with very little breeze and as soon as your plant have the secondary leaves they should be ok. If in doubt - leave the pie tins up. Save them from year to year also or start seeds indoors and put out with secondary leaves. They just want the seed I think. Any questions, feel free to ask. The pie tins always worked for us and I hope they do for you also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here