Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephaniehs_gw

Best fertilizer for pumpkins?

StephanieHS
9 years ago

Hi, hoping to get the most out of my pumpkins. i've read to use a fertilizer high in nitrogen early on then switch to a lower nitrogen fertilizer when they start to flower. I'm wondering if the experienced pumpkin growers out there agree and if you have any favorite fertilizers!

Comments (8)

• socks
    9 years ago

I don't get that scientific about it, just use organic Tomato & Vegetable Food 4-5-3. The soil is pretty rich with a lot of organic stuff, mulch, etc. added over the years.

• StephanieHS
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks much!

• pd0xgard_
    9 years ago

I'm using a Tom/Vege fert, 2-7-4. I was told that's probably not the best, but I figure I don't want to waste it, so I'm gonna experiment with it this year and see how goes. The vines are growing pretty huge, so I'm guessing they didn't need much N to begin with.

• StephanieHS
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's great, thanks.

have you had any trouble with pests yet?

• dinahlee
    9 years ago

I use homemade compost tea made from grass clippings and finished compost 1.5 quarts grass clippings or weeds that haven't gone to seed 1 qt finished manure compost, put them in a recycled potato or onion bag, wire tie the top shut...put in a 5 gallon bucket, with a lid in the shade...fill with rain water or non chlorinated water if you only have city water let the water set a few days the chlorine will evaporate...add 1/2 c sugar or molasses...let it set 2-3 days...you don't need a pump just squish the bag and stir it 2 times a day....you will see it working it bubbles...when you are ready to feed use it on a ratio of 1/4 1 quart tea 4 quarts of water...Best thing is, it's free :)

• StephanieHS
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Free is good! ;) Thanks

• MNgardenman
    9 years ago

When talking in acreage for pumpkins a general ratio in units per acre is 90 in N, 60 in P and 60 in K. So for a acre that would be 400 lbs of a 23-16-16 blend. But yes only use the high N early on before the plant begins to flower because it will put the energy into growing the plants vegetation rather than producing the fruit. The P and K are more important at this time. These are what helps produce the fruit where the N is what really gets the plant going to produce the fruit later on.

• StephanieHS
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gardenman, thanks much, I really appreciate your input! I've been using high N but I need to switch soon.

What is the best fertilizer once flowering starts? I have one meant for flowers (not sure if that matters) that is 15-30-15, but I was worried that it might be too low in potassium.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus