Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should my squash be doing something?

Posted by standbyq13 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 07 at 18:23

Hi! I'm a little concerned about my squash. I planted 3 acorn squash and 1 butternut squash about a month ago and they have done almost nothing. They were purchased in little pots and are planted in large pots which they are sharing with some green beans which I started from seed at the same time. The beans seem to be doing well, but the squash have done very little. The acorn squash in particular keeps growing new leaves at the bas, but the longer larger leaves are dying. They are in Miracle Grow Potting Soil and are not mulched. It has been hot and dry, but I have kept these watered. Anyone have any ideas or am I jumping the gun? (I also planted a cantolope in a 5th pot and it has grown quite a bit, which makes me even more nervous.) Thanks for all your advice. This is my first year with veggies, and as you can see I'm quite worried!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should my squash be doing something?

I'm not very experienced with container growing, but I can say that squash generally kind of "sit there" until around the sixth week. Then, suddenly, they take off. Once they start they really go.

You could probably save money, in the long run, if in the future you purchase seeds instead of plants. Even the most measly seed packet will have enough seeds for your needs, for a couple of years, and you can save them in a desk drawer, etc. for that long. They will keep. Planting is a snap; even easier than planting the transplants. Just push the seed into the soil and inch. A seed will probably catch up with a transplant, no problem. (This is an aside from your question :)

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

Your problem is most likely that you used potting soil. You should have used potting mix. A subtle but impotant difference. Potting soil (for me at least) has a tendency to compact which is VERY bad for the plants. I use miracle grow potting mix for all of my containers. Potting mix is nice and fluffy and maintains a great structure all year. I grow tomatoes and peppers as well as minature bottle gourds with great success. I suggest that you never use potting soil in pots only potting mix.

Here is a quote about potting soil that I came across "In truth, just about anything could be called a potting soil -- low-grade compost, dirt and even ground up crates"

Since you have potting soil for next year try mixing shredded leaves and other organic material into the soil. If you do get potting mix it can be used for 5 years before you should replace it. I like to take all the soil out of my pots before I replant them and break up any clumps as a way to "fluff" the soil.

And I agree with George about the seeds they are the way to go for squash.

o

How large are your containers? Did you say they are in the same pot with some beans? Sounds like over-crowding to me. When I plant anything in pots, I use huge pots. I won't use anything less than 20 gallon pots for one tomato plant.
Mrs H

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here