Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkin growing question!

Posted by halecards 5-Missouri (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 18:59

I'm growing connecticut field pumpkins this year, and I planted the seeds on June 2nd. When will female flowers start showing up? And how long does it take from the moment that the flower is pollinated to the point when the pumpkin is ready to harvest? I grew pumpkins last year, but I don't remember any of this. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkin growing question!

I never grew them so I can't say for sure.
They are a 110 to 120 day pumpkin.
I have grown many 120 day pumpkins and they take a few months to develope females and they mature in late fall or first hard forst.
The ones I grow I start in late april/early may and usually pollinate around the 10th of july and harvest the pumpkin sometime in early october.

o

I planted July 1 this variety. Females came on Aug 18, and I harvested ripe fruit sometime in early October. Each plant had 1 pumpkin, 50 and 65 pounds. I intended to have more smaller fruit, but I think I screwed up flipping the pumpkins bottom side down and most died.

o

Oh ok..thanks for the answers!!

o

I've grown Connecticut Fields here in Upstate NY the last three years; they're a very nice--and old--variety. Planted seeds May 23rd and moved seedlings to their permanent location on June 5th. They're pretty big right now and flowers should develop any day now. They're usually ready to harvest by the end of September although I prefer to wait to mid-October before giving them to my nieces.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here