Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mickandkairi

newbie pumpkin questions

mickandkairi
15 years ago

These are relatively simple minded things, please excuse me. My 'super gardener' neighbor came over to investigate how my plants are doing, since I have planted some of the same things he's been growing... and he's filled my head with confusion. Here's what he said about my pumpkins:

I know that the yellowing of the older leaves is normal, I've been leaving them alone to let nature do what it will. He said that I need to cut them off when the slightest bit of yellow starts showing. "the plant is wasting energy on them, etc etc", I thought maybe the fact that there was still some green meant the leaf was still aiding the plant in obtaining said 'wasted energy'.

He also said that I shouldn't let my vines grow straight out...? 'They're too far away from where you're watering, that's too far for the nutrients to go.' He said I need to make sure my vines don't take root and when they're long enough to bend them back around and have them take root up by the base of the plant.... where I'm supposed to cut all my leaves off.

I can understand a little where the first suggestion might be realistic, but the second makes no sense to me what so ever. Anyways, thank you in advance for your time... this seems tedious enough to me, but I can't seem to get it out of my head.

mickandkairi

High Springs, FL

Comments (3)