Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diagnose my ailing Delicata Squash?

Posted by lazygardens Sunset Zone 13 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 19:03

I have a Delicata squash that is yellowing and looking sickly, growing between two thriving ones (butterstick and butternut) ... any suggestions?

My only thought is that it might be too hot here for them.

1 - They aren't wilting, just looking wierd and not putting out many new leaves or flowers.

2 - No sign of squash borers (no frass, no wilting)

3 - No excessive numbers of aphids or ants (all the plants have about the same number of ants and aphids, and the others aren't sickly)

4 - With humidity of 10-15%, I doubt it's fungus.

5 - They are growing next to thriving squash, well-watered with a drip system, got the same fertilizer and soil treatment as the healthy neighbors.

www.flickr.com/photos/38617480@N07/3630712332/
and
www.flickr.com/photos/38617480@N07/3630712328/in/set-72157619569769890/

I'm tempted to yank it out for the compost heap and plant something else.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diagnose my ailing Delicata Squash?

My first guess would just be sunburn? There are probably others who know more than I would though. I've never had squash leaves look like that before.

o
RE: Diagnose my ailing Delicata Squash?

I planted Delicata squash for this season, while it gave me fruit, it was not that productive like other squashes that I planted. The three in the middle are the Delicata. My guess is that they don't like the heat or the humidity. The taste was good from the ones I harvested.

Silvia

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here