Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Pumpkin Blossoms

Posted by rosarama 9a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 19:20

My pumpkin vine keeps flowering, but something is biting the blossoms clean and the stalk is left upright. I saw a large flower this morning but this afternoon there was no sign of the blossom only the upright stalk. I kept wondering why I had so many flowers but no fruit.
Can someone please help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Pumpkin Blossoms

Are these the male flowers or the female flowers?

Pumpkins and squash often have male flowers for a little while before they have the female flowers and the male flowers are supposed to fall off when they are done.

o

The flowers only last a day. They open in the morning and shrivel by night. When they fall off they leave a bare flower stalk which later shrivels. The flowers can fall off within one day but typically hang around all shriveled for a few days. If something is eating your flowers, it doesn't even matter as long as it is only eating male flowers because fter the males open in the morning their job is done. After that it doesn't matter what happens to the males. It might be nothing or it might be a rabbit or other rodent. You can put up a little fence to deter them if your are concerned.

o

Thanks for your prompt responses. I have two quetions, however.
(1) How do I know the male blossoms different from the female?
(2) If the blossoms drop, shouldn't there be even a piece of it on the ground below? I see no evidence of that.
Thanks again.

o

The female flowers have a miniature squash attached to them. After fertilization this tiny squash grows into the full-sized vegetable we love so much.

Here's my first zucchini:

The first zuccini on its way

o

Thank you so much - I'm off to take a peek at the the three large flowers I can see from my window.

o

female flowers have a bump underneath them if their not pollinated.

o

here's a pic of a female pumpkin flower

Here is a link that might be useful: female flower

o

Thanks to you all. I saw my first pumpkin on the vine yesterday - it s in a tangerine tree in whih the vine climbed. Guess I will have to make aling for it. I threatened last week to pull up the vine so I guess it heard me (lol)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here