Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Squash ~ Do I clip off new shoots?

Posted by katkeeper36 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 19:36

I have 6 Squash growing in 3 - 18 gallon containers. The primary shoots are well established and heading up to the roof of the arbor. Also starting to both flower and fruit. Now I've noticed that 2nd, 3rd and even 4th runners/shoots are starting to take off....looking for daylight.

Do I clip these off in favor of a healthier/stronger primary shoot or will it damage the plant ? Or any other reason why I shouldn't? Thanks for the input...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Squash ~ Do I clip off new shoots?

new shoots

o

I've never pruned any vining crop in a self-watering container and they do fine. Though I also don't grow any giant maximas in them either. Which C. maxima are you growing? And the darker leaves with the silver veining are those Tromboncino by chance?

6 plants wont fit on that trellis for long. Are you planning to let them grow along the fence? Personally, the only reason I would prune is if space is an issue. You won't get any benefit by pruning unless you want fewer (but arguably larger) fruit.

o

Thanks for the input. I got approx. 60 sqft of trellis/arbor space...so that's why I would clip them back. A lot of ground critters ( rabbits, hedgehogs ) are the primary reason I'm growing vertically.

I purposely picked smaller squash for the arbor...so left to right is this Black Futsu ( darker leaves ), Red Kuri, Acorn, Delicata, Black Futsu, Red Kuri.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here