Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acorn Squash Not Flowering Anymore

Posted by barnhardt9999 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 20:57

I have a healthy looking acorn squash that about a week ago I picked 3 ripe squash off of. Ever since I picked the squash I have not seen another flower, male or female. About 3 days ago (was a bit worried after 4 days with no flowers) I applied a bit of 8/10/10 and watered deeply. Any theories on why a squash would stop flowing despite looking healthy and producing well early in the season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acorn Squash Not Flowering Anymore

3 ripe squash in zone 7? That is surprising, when did you plant them? I just put in seeds last weekend.

o

Took a gamble and started seeds end of Feb. Put them in ground around March 15th. Got nipped a little by by light frost twice in mid April but they were so big they recovered easily. We were frost free from about Feb. 15th to Apr. 15th. I'm on the border or zone 7 and 8 in Charlotte, NC. I have ripe summer squash, tomatoes, pumpkins (starting to turn), and cucumbers too. Very unusual... I had backup seeds and expected to use them but never had to.

o

I'm jealous, I'm glad you took advantage of the nice warm winter we had. You should be able to get multiple crops in this year of some of that stuff. So from the sound of things you are pretty far along. I can't give you a good reason why that happened to your plants, but I will tell you that sometimes plants seem to rest after fruit set but then pick back up. This normally happens towards the end of summer, but you have a huge head start. Are there more flower buds growing? There is no rule that plants abide to that forces them to flower every day. Be happy and be patient if your plants are healthy.

o

If it is a vining type, are the vines still putting on growth. Bush types will sometimes set a second crop (SVB permitting) but they are not as long bearing as vine types.

o

Found the culprit - shortly after the last post the plant started wilting a little bit. Pulled it out today and found a couple large squash vine borers. The stress was probably enough to keep it for putting out new flowers.

They got my pumpkin, all my spaghetti squash and all my summer squash too. Hoping I can save the pumpkin after taking off 3 vines (2 left) and cutting open the base, removing the SVB and burying. Very disappointed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here