Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wv2ga_gw

SVB and Tabasco Soap

wv2ga
15 years ago

So for the second straight year the SVB have gotten to my squash and zukes, and I am extremely frustrated by this. I even went non-organic early by spraying the plants with sevin.

And I was grabbing a number of each on a daily basis, so it is a big disappointment to have this happen again.

I have read here that tabasco soap may work. Is that something we can purchase or make? If we can purchase it, where? If we can make it, how?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Jim (wv2ga)

Comments (4)

• reba_nc
    15 years ago

You might have more luck getting that question answered in the vegetable forum. I just discovered this forum today and to my disappointment it does not appear to have much activity. I just got hit by SVB for the first time this year and came here hoping for some ideas. Veggie forum likely to be more help.

• wv2ga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks.

I'll give the question a try over there.

jim

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

I am not familiar with Tabasco soap so I can't give you any advice on that topic. What kind of squash are you growing? If you grow vining squash SVB problems are easily alleviated. All the vining squash will send down secondary roots from the base of each leaf all you have to do is encourage this by either just letting them grow along the ground or you can be a little more proactive and mound some soil at the base of each leaf. SVB will attack your plants but the plants will barely be damaged if you have lots of secondary roots. In areas that that have been hit you can try cutting the vine open a little and removing the grubs or you can do what I do and just stab the vine a dozen or so times in the affected area with a safety pin to kill the grub.

Summer squash are the most vulnerable to SVB and if they get hit it almost certainly means the end of the plant. The best prevention is some sort of physical barrier like a floating row cover. The can be used until there are female flowers. For me I never care when my summer squash get hit because they have already produced at least 10 squash per plant, which is more than enough for me.

And I used to monitor this forum daily, but everyone posts their questions in the vegetable forum for some reason so I only check once or twice a week now. If you have squash specific questions please post them here.

Here is an example of a secondary root:
    {{gwi:854490}}

• snowling888
    15 years ago

You can try bayer's advanced lawn insect killer. It has a chemcial that the plants take up and make them toxic to insects, it doesn't hurt earthworms, but MAYBE hurtful to bees. My hubby brought me two bottle. I haven't use them because I don't have the heart to hurt the bees. My pumpkin plants are infected with SVB. I spilt the vines and removed the gurbs. For small ones , I poked the vines and leaves stalks with a needle a few times. So far as good. But I only have 4 plants.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!