Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darrelltx

Yellow Papaya Pear Squash

darrelltx
15 years ago

I've seen this squash on some seed sites and was wondering what its parents were. Possibly a yellow straightneck crossed with a yellow scallop/asteroid? If you look at the squash closely it has small bulges around the middle.

Comments (7)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I've seen that squash in catalogs too. I 'd be interested in seeing if anyone has grown it and how it did for for them. Was it productive? Tasty? Any pest problems? Tricks to growing it?

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Darrel, just curious.

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

From the NC State database.
    "Papaya Pear (PX 4718347) - Breeder and vendor: Seminis Vegetable Seeds. Parentage: Cucurbita pepo F1 hybrid. Characteristics: summer squash, strong plant, fruit are bright yellow pear shape; AAS designated winner until we have inventory; semi-bush growth habit; open and easy to harvest; plants spread about 4 feet, and grow approximately 3 feet tall; fruit are bright yellow with fine white speckles, uniquely pear shaped, and should be harvested when about 3.5 inches long by 2.75 inches across, at which stage they weigh approximately 170 grams; fruit have excellent taste; maturity is very early, about 40 days; very attractive squash with unusual fruit shape like no other cultivar; superior fruit quality, fine flavor, vigorous plants and high yield (formerly Yellow Pear); unique fruit shape and color. Adaptation: home garden and wholesale use. 2001." I have not grown it, but those who have verify that it is very early, vigorous and tasty.

• nick123
    15 years ago

IMO, the taste is like a cross of buttery yellow crooknecks and scallopini.

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

I would imagine that the cross is something proprietary that they don't want everyone knowing. You know from the above post it is a hybrid, your best bet is to cross a few things until you end up with something similar.

• peggy_hosta
    15 years ago

I've been looking for this seed at Nurseries,etc, the Seed Exchange forum and can't find seeds. Anyone have 6-10 to sell?
    Peggy

• hanselmanfarms
    15 years ago

I don't eat squash, but I do sell squash. I grew alot of the Papaya Pear squash one year, and had to almost give them away. I cut back alot the next year, and only grew them because I still had seeds. I could not keep up with the sales the second year. People loved them. I picked them small, no larger than a baseball. They can get very large, but like zucchini, they get tougher.

• rockguy
    15 years ago

I grew them last year. They were earlier, but not as tasty as the zuc and yellow crookneck. Not growing them this year.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!