Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pics of my first pumpkin attempt... feedback please

Posted by regaldozer 6A NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 23:03

this is my first year growing pumpkins. i tranplanted these from HD vartiety called "Pumpkin" said 90 days and i planted end may.

Photobucket

these from a seed packet started the same time..
hill 1

Photobucket

hill 2
Photobucket

i had only one plant for a long time and now 3 more sprung up. i am going to clip at least 2 and maybe all 3 newbies. how many plants per hill should i be thinking?

my first frost average is about Oct 20th so i think I will have enough time for pumpkins, what do y'all think?

also, how do you train the growth tip. I was thinking about a small fence like thing or even stakes in the ground along the line I want the vine to go. I have kind of limited space. so i need to keep it organized.

thanks for any advice

steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pics of my first pumpkin attempt... feedback please

Steve,

They look good. I bet you will get a crop before frost.

One way to train a squash/pumpkin is simply to move the vines where you want them to go, as they grow. Also, when the vines get really large and begin to invade part of the garden, where you don't want them to go, you can either pinch out the growing tip, whenever it heads into that area, or perhaps better, simply lift the vines and flip them back upon the plant and away from where you don't want them to go. This works well.

Unless you are very pinched for space I wouldn't bother with trellising. Most squash and pumpkins require a sling type of support for any fruit suspended by a trellis, in order to prevent it from tearing off the vine when it gets heavy. If you opt to do this, I hear that old nylons work well for slings.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

thanks george

can you tell me what these are ?

Photobucket

o

Those are male flowers. They provide pollen only. Female flowers will show up later and are able to develop into actual pumpkins. You will know them by a tiny "baby" pumpkin attached to the base of the flower. Pollen from the male flowers must reach the female flowers for a pumpkin to happen. You can let the bees do it or you can break off an open male flower and dab its innards into the female blossom if you don't trust the bees to do it.

o

nice. can you eat the males like zuccinni flowers?

also, how many plants per hill should i be looking at?

thanks so much for your help

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here