Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookworm226

HELP! Trouble with young gourds

bookworm226
15 years ago

I have been growing several different varieties of gourds for 3 years and every year I have the same trouble with my gourds. When they are small, (before they bloom) many of the tiny gourds turn yellow and then fall off. When I pick them off the vine and split them open, they are black inside or starting to turn brown.

I know what an unpollinated gourd looks like when it bites the dust but I am a bit confused about what causes this since these gourds haven't even had a chance to bloom yet.

Some of the gourds grow OK and then some of them start off great but after about 2-3 weeks when they are half the size they are supposed to be, a few of them do this also. But these larger ones don't turn yellow. They just stop growing and then begin to swivel up. The insides of these are also brown/black.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I have asked several people around here about it but they don't really know much about gourds and can offer little help. I would like to solve this problem. Last year, I lost about 2/3 of the gourds that came on the plants to this. Thanks so much

Comment (1)