Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
regaldozer

will volunteer's grow fruit?

regaldozer
15 years ago

i left a pumpkin in the garden last year. we brought a bunch home from a farm and didnt have enough room to carve and decorate them all so, I left it in the garden a basically forgot about it. I figured it would just kind of disappear. And for the most part it did. however, look at what we have this year in the same spot...lo and behold...

will these give me any pumpkins or are they wasting space?

thanks

Comments (5)

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

All of them in one spot wouldn't give you many pumpkins, but if you thin to one or two plants then you will get pumpkins. Sometimes I have gourds volunteer in random places in my yard. If I have the space I let them grow and they are always the best most productive plants for me. Be warned that you may end up with a squash that isn't the round orange pumpkin you expect because of cross-pollination at the farm.

• tcstoehr
    15 years ago

You will *probably* get the same pumpkin as from the farm. The farmer likely grew a field of all of the same type of pumpkin and pollination was therefore likely from the same species. Although, maybe the farmer mixed up varieties in his field. Maybe a bee from a nearby field flew in. You can't really know for sure. You might get a cross from some completely unpumpkinish curcubit. That's what makes if fun.

Now... not to be negative, but your pumpkin does look a bit pale and leggy. Is it getting full sun, like 8 hours a day? If so then I'd suspect your soil is a bit anemic. In what way I could not guess. But even so, it does look good enough to produce some fruits. I just wouldn't expect them to be as large as its parents. You might consider thinning to one or two fruits per plant unless these vines increase in vigor.

• regaldozer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

man this forum is so cool.

they are not in the best spot in the garden, that is for sure. about 6 hours average, although the tree guy is coming today and I think they will get closer to the 8 hrs. Do you think I should thin the number of plants or just clip the vines at 1 or 2 fruits?

thanks again
    Steve

• tcstoehr
    15 years ago

Thinning the plants or thinning the fruits or both or neither. That's the question. Everyone's opinion and experience will vary.
    I would think that your pumpkin vines are not going to get extremely huge and sprawling, so thinning the plants might not be necessary, since they won't crowd each other terribly. But the same token, since the plants won't be all that large, they can't develop too much fruit, so I'd thin the fruits to no more than two per plant. But for all I know your vines will make a liar out of me and take off and grow to huge proportions. It's up to you to watch them and learn.

• ktdid28
    15 years ago

I would definitely thin them out. Last year I had a volunteer from a rotted pumpkin grow & it took over everything! It was HUGE & really neat to watch it grow every day, back & forth through the fence & across my parking pad. I ended up getting 12 pumpkins from the ONE vine & they were good medium sized pumpkins. You may have to hand fertilize your female flowers if you don't have many bees, though. Enjoy! It's lots of fun!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus