Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New pumpkin garden

Posted by jimjanco NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 23:13

hello - first time pumpking grower here (actually, my six year old son really wanted his own pumpkin this halloween, so that's why we got started).

in any case, i think my pumpklin isnt off to a great start. it was thriving indoors through the spring - but now that we have planted it outside, it seems to not be growing as much. some stats:
-gets daily water
-6-8 hrs of sun each day
-dirt was sandy but we added some new garden dirt (miracle grow) to help

anything obvious im missing?

ive also planted some of those little pumpkin plants - they seem to be doing really good.

Here is a link that might be useful: pictres

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New pumpkin garden

Just be patient. The plants are growing like crazy but it is all underground. They are at a stage where the plants seem to rest while the roots grow. Don't worry very soon they will start vining and completely taking over your garden.

o

Starting the plant inside and transplanting it was probably the problem.

Pumpkins, and cucurbits in general, hate to have their roots disturbed and suffer badly from transplant shock.

If they've been there for a couple weeks and have lived this long they'll probably take off and start growing any time now.

The best addition to your sandy soil is compost. You can also put a wide ring of compost around the plant, but away from the stems themselves. Pumpkins are "heavy feeders" and like to be fed with compost that way several times during the season.

I can't tell from the picture, is your sand the beach sand type (white or yellow with rounded grains all about the same size), or the glacial till type (a grubby-looking grey or brown with sharp grains of different sizes that seem to be made of different minerals)?

o

Weirdtrev is probably correct, and it'll snap out of it. Though, I really prefer to plant seed directly in the garden. It generally does better. In most of NJ you still have at least a week or two more that you can still direct seed and harvest most pumpkins before frost. So, if you have any doubt, you might plant a few more seeds, directly into the garden soil.

George
Tahlequah, OK (formerly of NJ)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here