Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when do I harvest Thai pumpkins?

Posted by kasiaw Z9 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 23:17

I've planted a Thai pumpkin from Baker Creek this year. Three plants have taken over one vegetable bed and are busy trying to vine over eggplants and peppers. It's been a while since I've seen squash that looks this healthy in our humid summers. And they have been making green pumpkins. Several look like they might be ripe for harvest. Their rinds are quite hard, but the stems that attach them to the vines aren't dying. Are stems expected to start drying out on these pumpkins when they are ripe or should I rely on the hardness of rind? Are there any other clues to harvest readiness of these specimens?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when do I harvest Thai pumpkins?

I prefer to let the vines start dying back before harvesting winter squash. They are better after curing for a couple weeks off the vine. Baker creek sellsseveral Thai pumpkins. I don't grow any of thiers but do grow Fagtong Sri Muang and Beung Karn which are Thai cultivars.
Fagtoong Sri Muang Beung Carn

o
RE: when do I harvest Thai pumpkins?

Wow, Farmerdilla, those are gorgeous looking pumpkins. I've picked one of mine after looking at your top photo. I've noticed that the green spots that were covering the pumpkin had turned buff color and that the stem that was feeding it started turning brown without drying. The final clue was the whitish covering that started to form on the pumpkin. I've got two more pumpkins that are showing the same signs of maturity and I'll give them one more week. Seveal pumpkins are still growing. I'm willing to keep those on the vine until early August and then I'll be forced to remove the vines. Our seasons are long but my beds are a valuable real estate and August-November is the prime season for more winter squashes.

Thanks again for your advice and posting the photos!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here