Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkin - Main Vine Tip Dead?

Posted by aant 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 22, 09 at 0:31

Hi -

I'm growing a pumpkin and it has been growing fairly well. We've been having a heat wave for a week or so, so the leaves have been wilting throughout the day, but perk back up at night and the vines have been growing like mad, so hopefully no problems there. However, the past couple days, I've noticed the main vine, which is at about 7-8 feet now was browning at the end. Examining it more closely, it seems pretty "soft", all the baby leaves and flowers are a grayish/brown, including the stem. The leaves right below (and on the rest of the vine) are fine and growing. There are a couple female flowers on the vine. I'm worried whatever it is will spread down. Should I just chop off the tip? How will that affect fruit development (From searching around, the prevailing advice seems to leave a few feet of vine after the pumpkin to help feed it? I'm not trying to grow giant pumpkins, though) The lateral vines are still growing as far as I can tell (tips are green and more rigid). Should I spray something on the rest of the plant for preventative measure? What could it be?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkin - Main Vine Tip Dead?

If the vine tip is dead you probably should remove it.

Do you see any evidence of a borer infestation? They don't always appear at the first roots. They can appear anywhere near where the stem touches the ground.

o
RE: Pumpkin - Main Vine Tip Dead?

I don't see any evidence of a borer infestation, but I haven't looked carefully. It kind of looks like the vine is "self pruning", as a couple secondary vines have started taking off since the tip turned brown. I'm just bummed, because there's a female flower on last good leaf junction before the browning and my son was getting a kick out of watching the vine grow.

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here