Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccabal

SVB Battle Plan

Christian
11 years ago

Hi guys,

Earlier in spring I planted Acorn squash and got a few fruits before the vine died. Then I planted some yellow squash plants, and they all died, as I discovered, to Squash Vine Borers. Now I have read lots of stuff and am much more educated about the problem.

I am now trying to grow some pumpkins, and am afraid of losing them to the dreadful SVBs. I have 2 hills planted, about 8 total plants. They are still pretty small, about 8 inches tall.

Here is my plan:

1. Every day go out and pick off all the SVB eggs I can find. I've already picked off at least 30 eggs over the span of a week. If and when the plants get real big this might be quite a big job!

2. As the plant grows, pile up more dirt around the stem, to encourage more root growth.

3. Spray with NEEM oil. Just started to do that this week,and will do once a week. I read its supposed to build up in the plant and act like a systemic insecticide....anyone have much luck with this?

4. As the plants get bigger, monitor for holes with frass coming out. Then inject BT solution above the holes. I might just inject anyway periodically for good measure.

5. Go out at night and flash a light on the stem, and spot the worms, and stab them to death with a needle.

What do you guys think? Is this a good plan? Considering how many eggs I've found, my neighborhood seems infested with SVB!!!

Comments (13)

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, they mine have been squash borer eggs, like in the first pic above. I must have neighbors that are breeding those beasts!!! The eggs have been randomly spread around, mostly on the main stem and on the underside of leaf stalks.

Well, I've removed about 30, in the span of a week... they certainly haven't been clusters of them, just a few here and there.

If I do manage to ward off the SVBs I hope the heat doesn't kill my plants. Texas July/Augusts are brutal. Will be 104 tomorrow

Thank God they take 7 days to hatch.. so I am out there every day, if I miss an egg one day, I'll get a second chance the next day.

• Karlieb
    11 years ago

Thirty on a plant is not so extraordinary in the span of a week. I've removed hundreds of them this year until my plants finally got so big and intertwined that I no longer could do so due to time or crushing the plants to get to them.

The damned borer moths have been laying eggs since May 15th non stop; I don't think they follow the 'generation' thing here.

But I haven't lost a plant yet and I don't know why cos last year they killed everything before July.

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: My pumpkin plants are looking real good. I have not picked many eggs of of them, maybe one a day average the past week. The vines have gotten longer and I see how they are starting to send roots down further up the vine, so I have encouraged that by piling dirt on parts of the vine. I have sprayed neem a couple times a week, but have had no need to mess with BT injections.

Now one thing I forgot to mention is that I also have another patch of Acorn squash growing again ( after my original patch had died due to the SVBs). I did get a late start on being vigilant for SVB with them, so they did get infected, but I have been spraying neem on them regularly too, picking eggs, and injecting with BT. They seem to be doing pretty well. Hopefully the injections have killed the worms. I have not seen any new frass and some of the stems seem to be healing, except for a couple weak plants which I think I didn't inject in the right place, and they got worse. Well this patch of plants is definitely the SVB magnet in my yard. I have picked on average 20-30 eggs a day off of these. I guess this has distracted them from my pumpkins. Only thing is that after a while, I bet the daily picking of eggs will get old. Plus I started seeing some signs of squash bugs.... ugh.... what a battle... But I am determined to fight .

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

New update:
    Its been REAL HOT. We have been in the 102 - 107 range, for the past 2 or 3 weeks.

The pumpkins are still doing very well. They have continued to grow and I have put some more dirt on some of the runners. They are growing over grass, so I just pile dirt over the vine, over the grass too. I have sprayed NEEM a couple times a week on them, and remove a few SVB eggs, but there have been very few on the pumpkin plans lately, only about 1 a day average, mainly on the leaves or upper leaf stem, havent seen any on the main vine. I wonder if its the Neem oil, since I have been spraying and watering with neem, maybe its systemic properties are helping? Time will tell. Also I notice its stems and vine are a lot more prickly.. Maybe that helps too. They are the "early sweet sugar pie" kind, which is Curcubita Pepo, I think, so same species as my Acorn, and my Yellow crookneck I am also trying to grow.

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also want to give an update on my Acorn squash and yellow crookneck. The Acorn squash continue to grow well, and the vines are getting long, despite the SVB damage earlier. which I treated with BT injections. I have occassionally seen small bits of new frass in a few places, but am not sure if its been that I misses some spots before for injection, of the BT hadnt done its job, so I have injected more and in one case used some electrical wire and stabbed one to death (it was a small one). But the plants look good despite the heat. The female flowers have not set, but hopefully when the heat lets down they will.
    I spray with neem twice a week or so.
    Not sure how much its helping.. The egg picking continues, as these plants continue to act as my "trap" crop, since the SVB seem to prefer these to my pumpkins. I keep pulling off about 20 eggs a day average !!! Its just nuts how many of these moths are around. I notice last Saturday they were active around 11 AM,and killed 2. Since i work I am not around during the week to see how many more are around. But I hardly ever see any early in the morning or late in the evening, but I see the eggs. It seems Neem oil doesn't really help repel the egg laying. The Battle rages on.

Now the yellow crookneck are planted about 20 feet away in another small bed. No eggs seen on them yet. They are getting bigger and starting to form flowers. Maybe the Acorn is keeping the SVBs busy, or the NEEM soil drenches have built up int he plants? We'll see with these too.

• lizbeth_pa
    11 years ago

Sonds like a good plan as you seem to be having success! I wouldn't go out to my garden at nighttime due to skunks around here! LOL! Have you tried spraying an insecticidal soap on your leaves and vines? My problem is mostly the powdery mildew on my mini pumpkins and gourds. When I grew regular jack o lanterns, I also mostly had the powdery mildew prob. I'm trying to figure out what to do about that.

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another update:
    So my pumpkins are doing good still. No signs of SVB damage yet, also with the flowers coming they have definitely gotten more SVB moth attention now, as I am finding more eggs now. I have completely buried most of the bases of the plants, and have buried most of the vines by piling dirt on them. With no main vine, the SVBs are laying eggs on the leaf stems. I guess the risk of burying the vine is that if an egg escapes and the borer gets into the vine through the leaf stem, I would not notice it immediately. But hopefully when that happens the vines will be so well rooted it will not matter as much.
    Starting to see some female flowers show up too.

The Acorn squash keeps growing, but no squash yet. The female flowers shrivel up and die. Ive tried hand pollinating, but not working... I think its the heat. Its been over 100 for weeks, and the last few days its been mid-to lower 90s, so I am hoping that when it cools down a little in Sept. the fruit will start growing. The SVB egg picking continues, but at around 10 eggs or so a day. I have found 3 holes with frass, mostly on secondary vines, I think those were ones I didnt inject with BT, and didnt check well for eggs. I killed the larva by inserting an electrical wire, and out came the impaled larva. Sweet! I then injected with BT just in case. I am thinking the Neem is ineffective. I have not seen any sign that its helping or deterring. I use it mostly now against the aphids, which are attacking the older leaves. I have also started having small greenish caterpillars attack my leaves, I have sprayed with BT for those. Man, the bugs are just bad around here! But I think my Acorn squash will be OK. I have buried some if their vines too,and for the most part, they look pretty strong. Just need to keep being vigilant.

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lizbeth,
    I gave up on the night-time with flashlight idea. I tried it a few times, but have not had any luck, I have so many vines now that it would take forever to look at all of them, and when I have tried it I have not seen anything.

Next year I am definitely looking into covering my plants, maybe with Tulle netting. Then I can just hand pollinate or wait until the female flowers are ready and uncover, and start monitoring and picking off eggs then.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    11 years ago

Aside from hand picking and injecting with BT which are lots of work, I like the idea of vine burying, and have done that, though that gets real hard as the vines get long, especially if the vines are growing across non-cultivated ground.

I too am interested in netting/floating row cover, and will probably try it next year. Who has done it with squash? How carefully does one have to seal the edges of it? Because if the edges have to be sealed carefully, it makes hand-pollinating (which I don't mind doing otherwise) a real pain.

What should I look for in netting procurement? I'd like to get something inexpensive that can last a few seasons. There is a trade, I'm sure, between transmission and survivablility, in the the thinner ones won't last as long. A lot of the tulle netting for sale in fabric stores is nylon, and nylon will surely fall apart after one season of solar UV. Polyethylene or polypro should be better.

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aug 28th update:
    Overall things are still looking good.
    There has definitely been a big slowdown of SVB egg laying the past week. A week ago I was finding on average 10 or so eggs a day across all my plants (pumkpins, acorn squash, yellow crookneck). But the past couple of days I haven't found any (of course with the plants being a lot bigger now and sprawling out more, I could be missing some, but at least the egg laying is definitely slowing down for sure!)

The pumpkins: the patch has grown a lot more than the pic above. I have 3 small pumpkins now, one about baseball size now. And hopefully more on the way! BTW these are Sugar Pie Pumpkins, so they shouldn't get that big. I have been continuing to bury vines. I have found a few old leaves with signs that SVBs had gotten into them. Those I have cut off and injected BT into the hollow leaf stem. Since the vine is buried, I cannot tell if they SVB has gotten in there, but the thought is that if I inject BT down the stem, it will hit the SVB down there and hopefully kill it.

Acorn squash: the vine tips are growing very well but most of the leaves close to the base of the vines have died, and have been hammered by aphids. The new leaves and vine tips have been not attacked, though. I have extracted a few more small SVB from some secondary vines, I have injected BT occasionally but the vines are so long now that I have instead buried some of the long vines, and have just picked eggs off the leaf stems. Have about 6 squash growing now, largest is about softball size, and getting dark green. So I chalk this up as partial SUCCESS for now. Woohoo!
    Only problem is that I cannot seem to get more than one squash per vine. The other baby squash on the same vine tend to shrivel and die, even though I have hand-pollinated. Might be the heat as it has crept back into the mid-90s the past few days.

Yellow squash: doing good, no signs of SVB dammage yet. Have kept putting Neem on the base occasionally , and picked a few eggs, but the plants are beautiful, and female flowers are showing up.

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Arghh! Saw another SVB moth today, and found some eggs on my pumpkins and acorn squash, about 6 total. :( I was hoping they were done.

Inspecting my acorn squash, I have 8 squash fruits growing now. 3 are almost fully ripe. But one of the newest fruit had a brown spot on the actual stem of the fruit! I guess I got complacent and missed an egg there. I was able to extract a tiny SVB larva with the tip of my BT injection syringe needle... he didnt get very far into the stem...but the stem is solid, right? Intersting... I hope the fruit survives with the slight damage it took.

The battle rages on.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner