Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Huge Pumpkin vines & 1 pumpkin

Posted by jcurts (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 1:11

My vines are quite prolific with blooms galore but only one pumpkin has managed to grow. It is 12 inches in diameter and grows a half inch per day.
The others do the golf ball sized thing and turn yellow.
Are they not pollinating? If not how do I manually pollinate them or whatever?

Thanks

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Huge Pumpkin vines & 1 pumpkin

Most 10 - 20 lb pumpkins average 1 - 2 fruit per vine. How many plants do you have going? If the fruit are turning yellow and dying it could be lack of pollination or it could just be a stressed plant that is not able to support fruit at this time. One such stressor is fruit already forming. So if your plants truly are healthy, maybe you have a few pumpkins hiding in there somewhere.

George made a great tutorial on Hand Pollination of Squash if you want to learn how to do it. Keep in mind there is no need to tape the flowers if your aren't trying to save seeds.

o
RE: Huge Pumpkin vines & 1 pumpkin

Thanks, I think the hand pollinating is working.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here