Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
carving on gourds

Posted by huggins N/IL (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 30, 05 at 1:12

Has anyone ever carved on a green gourd while it was still growing on the vine? Or is it supposed to be when they are cut from the vine before drying? They are having the gourd show at Botanical gardens (IL) on the 9th 10yh & 11th of Sept and they have a list for items to enter and what I don't understand is....the season isn't over then so are growers cutting them for the show and then the gourds die?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: carving on gourds

Most all of the gourds you'll see at the Illinois Festival of Gourds will have been from last year's crop or even from a previous year.
It would be a good thing for you to go and check it out.
Most vendors love to answer your questions and I think they will have several classes you could sign up for.

Jan

o

Well not on the vine but I have etched into the skin of the gourds after they
have been harvested. When the vine starts to die or your gourds are done
growing. I bring mine or most of them in to dry as I like to watch them dry
also it give you the time to start etching on them.
The design that you etch will turn a darker color or stay a lighter color as it
dries and will stay a different color from then on.
I have never scratched beneath the outer skin though so that would be a whole new
territory and i would worry about them collapsing or becomeing weak as they dry.
But hey if you get a good crop you might want to try it on one or two to see what happens.
Good luck hope this helps some, and if I can help in any other way just ask.
Happy gourding.
Cathy

o

When and where is the Illinois Festival of Gourds? I'd love to attend.

Thanks,
Marcia

o

I have a Korean friend who picks the gourds, scalds the outside, cleans the inside before they dry completely.

She doesn't have any problems with this method.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here