Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miafl_gw

Mold on hubbard squash

miafl
14 years ago

Please forgive my ignorance as I'm not a gardener but I'm hoping someone has an answer to my question. I got a hubbard squash from my family's garden. (They planted them without knowing anything about them and gave them all away so I can't ask them.) I'm not sure how long ago it had been picked; I only had it for a few days when I noticed that it had some sticky, white stuff coming from the stem. I decided to go ahead and open it to see what the inside looked like. It looked fine, although there were a few brownish seeds and strings. I went ahead and cut it up and roasted it. Then I had time to do some research and figured out that the white, sticky stuff is probably mold. Although the inside looked fine, the outside rind was sticky (and stinky) in some places and I didn't wash it all off before I cut into it thereby likely transferring some of the mold into the flesh. Is it unsafe to eat? It was a large gourd and I got about 8 cups out of it so I hate to throw it out but I don't want to get sick either.

Comments (3)