Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kylethechick

No female flowers, just buds. :(

kylethechick
10 years ago

Hello there,

This is my first post here as I just joined so please bare with me!

This is my first year planting pumpkins. I have four pumpkin plants: Two Howden variety and two Sorcerer. Both were planted from starts on May 31st. At first they went crazy, especially the Howden.

Recently I had some powdery mildew that I didn't adequately prevent so I did a lot of pruning the effected leaves to rid it of the mildew and improve the over all air circulation. I also sprayed what was left with fungicide. Now my plants look healthier, there is just less to look at since I got rid of lots of leaves in an attempt to clean it up and promote that air circulation.

Basically, it is July 23rd and I have no female flowers. I have had male flowers since 7/3.

I can see a few small, green buds that are clearly females by the nodule at the base of the flower but it seems like they aren't growing quickly/at all.

I'm concerned because I know people who have tennis ball sized pumpkins already! Obviously they have had female flowers!!!

I'm obviously a little anxious. Does anyone have any tips for me?

On Monday morning I watered with a 10-10-10 fertilizer. I'm thinking of adding some phosphorous next week,

Thanks for reading my long post!

Comments (2)

Sponsored