Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm going in and taking chemicals with me!

Posted by dancinglemons 7+ (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 20, 10 at 3:13

Hi folks,

The cucumber beetles have become so rampant that I am finding them inside my kitchen! I try to keep from using sprays that kill the bees but with this infestation I need to revert to using some sort of insecticidal spray. I'm not organic but try to limit sprays when possible. It has been so long since I've used Sevin ((Have not used it in more than 15 years)) I've done the reading but have questions.
***Does the Sevin kill the cucumber beetles only on contact or is there residual killing? I know what the label says but what do actual growers see in the garden.
***If you had a choice and really, really needed to spray would you chose Sevin OR Malathion OR Rotenone?

I only spray in the early evening usually around 7PM. BTW there are way way way too many to pick them off.

DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm going in and taking chemicals with me!

Carbaryl (Sevin) is the more effective on beetles. All three will kill bees. Carbaryl tho has a very short life, so your plan of spraying in the late afternoon after the bees have ceased work for the day is the standard practice. When new blossoms open in the morning, they will not have insecticide to poison the bees. It is a contact insecticide so you have to get it on the beetles. Will not help with beetles who fly in later. Don't use dust tho. It hangs around until it gets wet. Rotenone will work, but has a longer life and is usually available in dust form.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here