Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When are pumkins ripe?

Posted by gurley157fs zone 7/8sc (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 5, 06 at 3:21

I have some small pumpkins that are completely orange and I am wondering if they are ready to pick but I am not sure how to tell when it is time.

They are only supposed to get as large as a human head and they have already reached that size.

Any info would be appreciated, Gurley

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When are pumkins ripe?

• Posted by gilisi zone 7 sth/est (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 5, 06 at 7:19

i harvest them after the vines have died.

o

They are ripe you should pick them. I made the mistake of not wanting to pick orange pumpkins once because it was "too early" only to find that when I did pick them they had rotted on the underside because they were overripe and the vines weren't even dead yet. Also if you pick it now that will give the vines more energy to make you some more pumpkins. Just because it is not October doesn't mean you can't have pumpkins yet :) As a matter of fact I still have several in my living room from last season. They keep surprisingly well if stored properly.

o

Thanks so much for the advice. I went ahead and harvested mine. I still have several more on the vine.

Mine are sugar pumkins so they are as big now as they are supposed to get.

It is so hot and humid here that they probably stand a good chance of rotting if left out till fall.

o

My pumpkins haven't turned orange yet and its mid-October already. Do they have a chance? Is there anything I can do to help them?

o

They ripen faster in the sunlight. If there are leaves over top of the pumpkin you can either move them out of the way or simply cut them off. Have the pumpkins started turning orange at all? If they have then they will continue turning orange on their own. If there is a danger of frost you should harvest them. If they are still light green then maybe you can try fertilizing them and hope they grow faster. If they are dark green then they should start turning orange soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here